Pamac Plasma-Tray-Icon

It works very well, except two little problems.

Translations seem to be missing (at least in Spanish, didn’t tried other languages)

And when i hit the notification or hit the Pamac icon for a new update, it opens Pamac but doesn’t go to the Updates tab.

Here’s the log since it finds the update until it opens Pamac.

** Message: 17:24:02.909: updates_checker.vala:119: check updates

(process:2637): libnotify-CRITICAL **: 17:24:05.037: notify_notification_close: assertion 'NOTIFY_IS_NOTIFICATION (notification)' failed
** Message: 17:24:05.096: updates_checker.vala:146: 1 updates found

(process:2691): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 17:24:13.390: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

(process:2691): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 17:24:13.393: /home/cansecogpc/.local/share/applications/defaults.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

Like I said earlier, I tried that, but having the file caused me to have more and more copies of the same tray icon on each boot. The application stars without a .desktop, if it was running in the last session.

Maybe you guys file some issues so we may track them better …

Check your session restore settings:
“Settings” → “Startup and Shutdown” → “Desktop Session” → “On Login” should not be set to “Restore previous session”.

1 Like

It should not work this way and will be fixed.

The tray icon respects the theme and the menu of it works fine on Right click, also the Left click opens Pamac.

• when i set to hide the icon in Pamac when there are no updates, it actually closes it the tray icon hence in Configure System Tray there is no option for it.

• by default Show when relevant in System Tray Settings should set the icon accesible in the Tray menu, but not be permanently visible, and once there are update, the icon to be promoted to active/shown.

• Always shown option and Always hidden do seem to work
    but i think the best behavior is to be Show when relevant (when there are updates)

• removing pamac-tray-appindicator does not make the pamac-tray-plasma to behave differently/better and the Pamac preference to hide icon when no updates …
    still makes it disappear from Tray menu, and even when there are updates, the tray icon does not automatically show their availability, and there are no notifications.
    wondering if Discover doesn’t have the source code for the tray that can be used

• logging out and back in or restarting the system, shows the icon in tray, displays the updates available with the number of available updates; clicking on it opens Pamac with the Updates tab - this is great!

3 Likes

This morning my machine had 1 update pending. Over the course of the day, more updates appeared, but pamac-tray-plasma somehow got confused:

• when hovering the icon with the mouse, it would show a tooltip showing the revised number of updates available (18)
  • from time to time a notification popped up, informing me about “1 available update”

Dumped core today:

Aug 30 19:38:55 systemd-coredump[4302]: Process 2952 (pamac-tray-plas) of user 1000 dumped core.

Stack trace of thread 2952:
                                        #0  0x00007f3b0ab2a615 raise (libc.so.6 + 0x3d615)
                                        #1  0x00007f3b0ab13862 abort (libc.so.6 + 0x26862)
                                        #2  0x00007f3b0ab6c5e8 __libc_message (libc.so.6 + 0x7f5e8)
                                        #3  0x00007f3b0ab7427a malloc_printerr (libc.so.6 + 0x8727a)
                                        #4  0x00007f3b0ab75af8 _int_free (libc.so.6 + 0x88af8)
                                        #5  0x000056287ae418af n/a (pamac-tray-plasma + 0x38af)
                                        #6  0x00007f3b0bb6b052 g_closure_invoke (libgobject-2.0.so.0 + 0x13052)
                                        #7  0x00007f3b0bb93685 n/a (libgobject-2.0.so.0 + 0x3b685)
                                        #8  0x00007f3b0bb8741d g_signal_emit_valist (libgobject-2.0.so.0 + 0x2f41d)
                                        #9  0x00007f3b0bb87980 g_signal_emit (libgobject-2.0.so.0 + 0x2f980)
                                        #10 0x00007f3b0bb32ebb n/a (/usr/lib/libpamac.so (deleted) + 0x63ebb)

Does appindicator version behave the right way?
(P.S. Checked: no, it also hides the icon without the ability to show it)

was it once or happens all the time?

Is there a way to reproduce it?

Happend multiple times throughout the day.

Don’t know yet, I don’t always notice when it does. Seems to happen regularly but not immediatly after starting it (again).

$ coredumpctl | tail
Sat 2020-08-29 13:45:35 CEST   2083  1000  1000   6 present   /usr/bin/pamac-tray-plasma
Sun 2020-08-30 19:38:55 CEST   2952  1000  1000   6 present   /usr/bin/pamac-tray-plasma
Mon 2020-08-31 08:39:02 CEST   3246  1000  1000   6 present   /usr/bin/pamac-tray-plasma

This is a method to use GNOME apps on KDE with KDE icon size

yay -S gtk3-nocsd
kate ~/.xsession

This is an empty file, add these two lines:

export GTK_CSD=0

export LD_PRELOAD=<"full path" of your libgtk3-nocsd.so.0 file>

then save and reboot

2 Likes

The tooltip vs notification count mismatch seems to be a consistent problem:

• there were no updates available initially
  • sometime today 11 updates were available: a notification popped up saying so and the tooltip showed 11 updates available
  • now tooltip says 12 updates, but there were at least 2 notifications already still showing 11 updates

edit: When I (partially) update the system, the number in the tooltip will correctly show the remaining updates as available while the notification still insists on 11 updates being available.

I opened two issues, and post here to remind people to post their issues too there as it may have flown over their heads when it was asked :point_up: :stuck_out_tongue: :point_up:

Sorry, too much projects, will fix issues after getting done more important things :smile:

@LordTermor

Reported a bug on Gitlab, the Plasma tray icon crashes right after packages get upgraded.

Plasma tray icon crashes after upgrading packages (#4) · Issues · LordTermor / Pamac tray icon for plasma · GitLab

I can reproduce this issue consistently on my side.

Yep, I already know about this bug. Can’t find the origin though :frowning_face:

UPD: nvm, fixed.

@philm or anyone: could you update pamac-tray-icon-plasma with the latest commits in order to test if the issue is indeed fixed? Pushing the build files (PKGBUILD and any other files needed) on Gitlab would be great too, while you’re at it.

Translation support is available in unstable branch

2 Likes