Accidently deleted everything in the /usr/share/icons directory

When I tried to delete one of the icon themes in the /usr/share/icons directory I accidentally deleted the whole thing since the last command I did was moving something to that directory and I just pressed the
up arrow and replaced mv with rm and forgot to remove the directory name before pressing enter.

I have tried to reinstall the Papirus icon theme and they appear in the directory but when I go into
Manjaro settings manager -> appearance -> icons and click the icon theme nothing happens. I have also tried to download an icon theme from the internet but for some reason it won’t let me extract the file.

So right now I have no icons, Is there any way I can fix this
way I can fix this?

Install/reinstall manjaro-icons? Maybe you also need to install other icon packages.

When I try to install icon themes I get a lot of warnings like this and it doesn’t seem to install properly

Blockquotewarning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/96x96/apps/manjaro.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/manjaro.svg
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/manjarolinux.svg
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/128x128.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/16x16.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/22x22.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/24x24.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/32x32.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/48x48.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/64x64.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/96x96.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/green/green.svg
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/128x128.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/16x16.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/22x22.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/24x24.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/32x32.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/48x48.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/64x64.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/96x96.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/maia.svg
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/white/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/manjaro/white/white.svg
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/whiskermenu-manjaro.svg

What when you try install hicolor-icon-theme?

For XFCE you need also at least adwaita-icon-theme.

Thank you for suggesting to install the hicolor-icon-theme since that seemed to fix most things. There
are still some issues like my cursor won’t change back and if I try to use a download some icon themes i still get warnings eg.

warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/Moka/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/Moka/16x16/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/Moka/16x16/actions/
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/icons/Moka/16x16/actions/exit.png

Did you try installing moka-icon-theme? Since that is what your output says you’re missing.

Hi install

sudo pacman -S manjaro-icons adwaita-icon-theme hicolor-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-icon-theme papirus-icon-theme papirus-maia-icon-theme

Yes I tried to moka-icon-theme and some of the icons do work however a lot of the ones on the panel are blank and my cursor stays the same for any icon theme I use. I’ve also downloaded the candy icon theme and put it in /usr/share/icons and I get the same result where some but not all of the icons work.

You got lucky @Tomek is here beause the standard response to something like this is:

Restore your last system backup.

:grin:

So please read this:

Because you got lucky once! Next time you’re going to lose your daughter’s / dad’s / GF/BF birthday pictures and these are irreplaceable!

This was the universe warning you you should become serious about backups.

:innocent: :smiling_imp:

With the command:

pacman -S manjaro-icons adwaita-icon-theme hicolor-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-icon-theme papirus-icon-theme papirus-maia-icon-theme

I get a lot of warnings. It still doesn’t seem to fix the problem but some icons do work so maybe I should just manually add icons or something?

Unfortunately I only backup my files and I don’t do a system backup so I cannot do that. This has made me realize that I should probably start doing system backups however.

2 Likes

You would need to share the actual errors if you want help …

…something like this probably would work:

sudo pacman -S manjaro-icons adwaita-icon-theme hicolor-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-icon-theme papirus-icon-theme papirus-maia-icon-theme --overwrite 'usr/share/icons/*'

or maybe

sudo pacman -S $(echo $(pacman -Qqs icon)) --overwrite 'usr/share/icons/*'
1 Like