About VirtualBox 6.1.0

Hi,
Well, an update of VirtualBox and once again, everything goes wrong.
Update of Oracle VirtualBox extension pack 6.0.1. And of course, it is impossible to install it....

Do you agree to these license terms and conditions (y/n)? y

License accepted. For batch installation add
--accept-license=56be48f923303c8cababb0bb4c478284b688ed23f16d775d729b89a2e8e5f9eb
to the VBoxManage command line.

0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/home/bruno/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.0_BETA2.vbox-extpack"
VBoxManage: error: Failed to load the main module ('/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so: undefined symbol: RTVfsFileQuerySize
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManagerWrap, interface IExtPackManager
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleExtPack(HandlerArg*)" at line 1361 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

When will we be able to track updates to this software properly?
I absolutely need Windows for my job.
I don't use it much, but I have software that comes from work and only runs on Windows via the VPN of work.

How can I install this extension? Knowing that on the virtualbox site, for the 6.1.0, it only proposes:
Index of /virtualbox/6.1.0_BETA2??

you have not searched

Is it an AUR package you want to install? VirtualBox 6.1 is currently only available in testing and unstable branch.

Seems Oracle needs to fix their extensions first. See also the comments on AUR.

1 Like

I had the same problem, though I seem to have come to it differently. I was notified of some updates that included the VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.1, which I installed. Later, when I went to run one of my VMs I got an error about the USB feature requiring the extension pack 6.0.14. It seems that VirtualBox 6.0.14 doesn't recognize or doesn't like the 6.1 extensions (at least in my case).. I looked for the 6.0.14 extension pack in pamac, but it was no longer available. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 6.1 pack, and on reinstall it failed with the same error as oblisk1502 received.

I solved this by locating the 6.0.14 extension pack https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_0 and installing it from there. My VM loads and runs now.

I guess the lesson is to not install a supporting package until the base package is at the same or higher level.
~dean~

1 Like

I had tried this solution too. But it didn't work for me.
I had meanwhile installed the 6.1.0rc..., VirtualBox installed it but now do not want to replace it by the one you propose.
He always tells me something wrong.
In your opinion, should I delete my ~/.config/virtualbox and go into testing and install 6.1.0?

It's also a good rule of thumb to not install a .0 release of anything you absolutely need to work. Testing? Sure. Production? No.

:man_shrugging:

I had the same problem... but i was also running 5.4 kernel. I had to roll back to 5.3 since it broke VB, vmware player, and pcloud. Once i did that, all 3 started working again. They would not even compile new modules under 5.4

I don't think you meant to reply to me. :man_shrugging:

nope... sorry

My problem is solved.
But to solve it, I had to pass Manjaro in Testing.
I installed va version 6.1.0-1 of AUR and VB started well.
But now, with the updates since my installation, I can see that the community version has also been upgraded to 6.1.0-1. So, installing it should now make it work normally.
But, personally, I don't want to start all over again.

When I try to install

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.14.vbox-extpack
it ask me for my password by it goes that its Wrong!(but its correct) so I'm stock & can't install?

Same happens to me -- stuck.

But the strange thing is, I just did the 2019-12-10 Stable update,
and for some reason (don't know why) I thought VBox was upgraded to 6.1.0,
so I installed Ext Pack 6.1.0 from AUR, but it would not install.

Then I realized VBox is still 6.0.14.
And now it does not accept my password, so I cannot change the ExtPack there.
Maybe can downgrade via AUR ... ? (1 a.m. now, will try it tomorrow)

EDIT

I guess this does not matter very much. The ExtPack is part of guest additions, and the GA in an existing VM will not change as long as you don't choose to update it.

Anyway, newly booted this morning; VBox accepted only ROOT pw (as it did once yesterday), but still failed to downgrade the ExtPack.

Note "command not found" at the end:
The installer failed with exit code 1: [sudo] password for jh: sudo: /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxExtPackHelperApp --stdout /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-aihbg7/stdout --stderr /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-aihbg7/stderr --elevated install --base-dir /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks --cert-dir /usr/share/virtualbox/ExtPackCertificates --name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' --tarball /home/jh/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.14.vbox-extpack --sha-256 c8a5cc980c9c94cdac3d94e23cf159c2433aae76b416dbfb5b1a918758f21e63 --replace: command not found

1 Like

..a new Virtualbox 6.1.0 is now in stable branch...
so it turn to be good now!

After 2019-12-29 Manjaro update,
trying to add VirtualBox Extension Pack via the GUI,
it still does not accept my correct passwords (root or user).

But installing from AUR works fine
pikaur -S virtualbox-ext-oracle
and the VirtualBox GUI (Options > Extensions)
shows Extension Pack 6.0.1 with a green tick.

Edit: have updated Guest Additions in a Win7 VM; seems like all is OK.

Forum kindly sponsored by