About the Cinnamon category

1 Like

The current icon:

Should probably be changed to this one instead?

2 Likes

Since other DE’s also have their own “is Great!” topic, I’m creating one for Cinnamon as well. :wink:

I personally just switched from XFCE to Cinnamon due to some issues with the powersaving options and wanted to switch back once those are solved. However, I might stay for longer with Cinnamon now :slight_smile:

this is NOT a support topic! please create a separate topic for every bug/problem you encounter. such bugs/problems can be discussed there in detail and all other forum members have an easier time finding a specific bug/problem and its solution.

2 Likes

I am a big fan of Cinnamon. To me, it’s the middle ground between the beautiful and functional (but spartan) GNOME and KDE Plasma’s power and customization. I get just the right amount of features and customization without it being sometimes overwhelming like KDE and things I miss in GNOME like a system tray and a better file manager. Performance is excellent and things are very intuitive. I am able to get my work done efficiently and without distractions.

I did have some stability issues in the past but those have been fixed in the past few years. I haven’t had a shell crash in recent memory. It’s not perfect as is true for any OS and DE but it works very well for me. I highly recommend trying it if you never have or haven’t recently.

1 Like

Did you post about that somewhere in the old forum? I’m just curious, I don’t want to unrail your topic.

Interesting to hear this from an xfce user. I might try this de sometime on a spare laptop.

I’ve tried xcfe, kde and budgie but I’ve always been a cinnamon fan. I came to Linux 4 years ago with Mint and just found cinnamon so smooth, stable and easy to use. I do like kde but its options can be overwhelming and its not as smooth as cinnamon.

1 Like

I’ve been using Cinnamon for about 5 years now. I started with Unity (Ubuntu 14?) which lasted about 4 weeks. Then I replace it with Cinnamon Mint. I’ve switched distros a few times since Mint, still use Cinnamon. XFCE is a good Cinnamon base for a distro that doesn’t have a Cinnamon ISO. Cinnamon is not too plain and not too fancy - it’s just right. oberon themed and configured a very nice edition here.

1 Like

Cinnamon has great structure, tools, layout, applet many more. I have used it for years. But I wasn’t able to good as this.

1 Like

Yep. Cinnamon IS good :slight_smile: On all of 3 computers here at home :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not yet. More or less since it was down for a while, but also I first wanted to investigate more if it is somehow config related. I still have my old NB here where I wanted to cross check the settings.

Actually the power-saving was just one of the reasons, also curiosity of checking out another DE was a big factor :wink:

1 Like

Been a linux user for 12+ years, and have used most of the popular desktops at one time or another. Always come back to cinnamon. I just like it better than the other options. The beauty of linux is choice, this DE is mine.

2 Likes

My reply is similar. Many years ago I started experimenting with Linux, trying every distro that seemed reasonable, beginning with Red Hat and SuSE when they were being pushed at computer dealer trade shows. My business involved supporting Windows, but I always had a computer running some version of Linux. Until Ubuntu came along, I was never comfortable with Linux enough to use it as my main personal computer. Ubuntu changed that, and my side machine became Windows for supporting my clients; Ubuntu Linux was my choice for my personal work and Internet access.

Linux Mint changed my view even more. I began to set up some clients with Mint for their own use when their computer activities fit. Most of them liked the speed and minimal worries about viruses. Of course I switched to Mint myself, as I found the Cinnamon DE refreshingly direct and simple, certainly better than the direction Ubuntu had taken. Also, the Mint forum community was far nicer to newbies than Ubuntu posters.

When Manjaro suddenly became quite popular, I gave it a try by installing Cinnamon edition on a separate partition on my Asus laptop. Surprisingly, it ran much faster than Mint, and supported all the hardware, including items that were not supported in Mint. After a couple of weeks, I switched my desktop to Manjaro Cinnamon. Thank you to the Manjaro team and the Cinnamon Community for creating it.

It is so good, I hope that it will soon become one of the official editions. It deserves it.

1 Like

Manjaro Cinnamon, and Cinnamon on Arch in general, has been a much better experience for me than Mint. Not taking anything away from that project as I really like what they do (i.e. the polish of their product). Having Cinnamon on a rolling release with access to all the software I could ever want is just so powerful.

Big thanks to the Manjaro Cinnamon team. You are doing a terrific job and I appreciate the effort. :+1:

English is not my native language and so I cannot express myself as good as you do. So, please allow me to use your words with which I totally agree. I followed similar path Windows, Zorin OS, Linux Mint and finally landed in Manjaro Cinnamon, which I think ( if I may say so ), is the perfect approach to increase Linux market share. As to the games issue, there are today, many Windows games running on Steam/Manjaro and more will come when Linux share gets bigger. Do we want Linux to go BIG ? Yes we do. So lets start to make it simple, clean and intuitive for the common user (( like I am :wink: )). Cinnamon on a rolling release, made all the difference.

Very big thanks to the Manjaro Cinnamon Team.

apap ( an enthusiast newbie )

2 Likes

I forgot to say a very big “thank you” for doing a cinnamon version of manjaro. I already really liked cinnamon from running mint. Now having run manjaro for a while, it is now my daily driver, I could not be happier. A rolling release, stable, favorite DE, whats not to like.

1 Like

It’s been mentioned before, but Cinnamon, to me, represents the middle ground between Gnome and XFCE, and that’s a pleasant place to be. I hope this version keeps getting a lot of love and attention

1 Like