Manjaro disappeared from BIOS and Grub

Hello, I installed Windows 11 alongside my Manjaro KDE on my Lenovo ideapad 110 laptop. Now Manjaro is not showing in BIOS and Grub. I checked the partitions using Gparted and everything is fine. How can I fix this?

1 Like

Hi @Hatt,

Check your BIOS/UEFI that secure- & fast boot is disabled and make sure in Windows as well.

Edit:

And completely, fully shutdown Windows when done. No hibernating ot sleeping or anything like that.

2 Likes

Hello Mirdarthos,

Secure and fast boot are disabled both in BIOS and in Windows, and Manjaro is still not showing.

Then I’m guessing you’ll need to chroot into the installation and reinstall GRUB from there:

To enter a chroot environment

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a

If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

If sucessfully done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment oon your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart and can cause damage.

Reinstalling grub from chroot environment.

Once in the chroot environment, you have to reinstall GRUB. To do so, run the following:

update-grub

When successfully completed, exit the chroot environment:

exit

Followed by rebooting and seeing if it worked.

If it did, feel free to heap on the praise. If, however, it didn’t, well, then I’m not here.

If this doesn’t work, then I really don’t know and we’ll have to hope someone more knowledgeable than I comes along.

1 Like

Hello,

I managed to boot into Manjaro using a tool called Super Grub Disk 2.04s2.

Once in Manjaro, I opened the terminal and wrote the following:

manjaro-chroot -a                                                                 ξ‚² 255 ✘ ξ‚² 29s ο‰’ 

==> ERROR: No Linux partitions detected!
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° update-grub                                                                       ξ‚² 255 ✘ ξ‚² 16s ο‰’ 

grub-mkconfig: You must run this as root
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° sudo update-grub                                                                            ξ‚² 1 ✘ 

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

Manjaro is still not showing in both BIOS and Grub.

See

Perhaps it helps

Edit:

To see if you boot with BIOS or UEFI, run:

test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios

…from the booted Manjaro.

1 Like
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° mount /dev/sda2 /mnt                                                                          ξ‚² βœ” 
mount: /mnt: must be superuser to use mount.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt                                                                  ξ‚² 32 ✘ 
[sudo] password for user: 
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot                                                         ξ‚² βœ” ξ‚² 5s ο‰’ 
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi                                                            ξ‚² βœ” 
mount: /mnt/boot/efi: mount point does not exist.
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash                                                              ξ‚² 32 ✘ 
[user-80vk /]# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/boot/efi'.
[user-80vk /]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
ERROR: mkdir /var/lock/dmraid
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done
[user-80vk /]# lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME
PATH      PTTYPE PARTTYPE FSTYPE PARTTYPENAME
/dev/sda                         
/dev/sda1                        
/dev/sda2                        
/dev/sda3                        
/dev/sda4                        
/dev/sr0                         
[user-80vk /]# ls /sys/firmware/efi
config_table  efivars  esrt  fw_platform_size  fw_vendor  runtime  runtime-map  systab
[user-80vk /]# exit
exit
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° modprobe efivarfs                                                                  ξ‚² βœ” ξ‚² 2m 22s ο‰’ 
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash                                                                 ξ‚² βœ” 
[user-80vk /]# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
mount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars: efivarfs already mounted on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars.
[user-80vk /]# ls /sys/firmware/efi
config_table  efivars  esrt  fw_platform_size  fw_vendor  runtime  runtime-map  systab
[user-80vk /]# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/boot/efi'.
[user-80vk /]# 

so you are running chroot and reinstall of grub directly from manjaro? do i understand it correctly?

1 Like

Yes, that is correct

well i dont think that will work …
post output from:
lsblk
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios
the previous lsblk output doesnt show anything …

1 Like
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° lsblk                                                                                         ξ‚² βœ” 
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
β”œβ”€sda1   8:1    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
β”œβ”€sda2   8:2    0 697.3G  0 part /
β”œβ”€sda3   8:3    0   8.8G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sda4   8:4    0 225.1G  0 part 
sr0     11:0    1   7.4G  0 rom  
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚° test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios                                            ξ‚² βœ” 
efi
 οŒ’ ξ‚°  ~ ξ‚°                                                                                               ξ‚² βœ” 

good, so its efi … you will need a manjaro usb, boot into it, open terminal and run this:
manjaro-chroot -a
then reinstall grub:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck 

then update it:
mkinitcpio -P && update-grub
exit chroot with:
exit
and reboot

2 Likes

Hello,

The soultion you provided works. Now I see Manjaro in both BIOS and the Boot menu, however, there is no grub to choose between Manjaro and Windows 11, so I have to press Fn + F12 every time in order to boot into Manjaro or Windows 11. Is there a way to bring back the grub menu?

open the grub file:
kate /etc/default/grub
and edit this line to look like this:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
save it and update grub:
sudo update-grub
reboot to see if the grub menu is shown during boot

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.