About Killing SSD with Tutorials from Here

Hi,

I have noticed that there are tutorials here, on the first on I have clicked (didn't read them all, just quickly checked one):

There someththing like this quote:

Partition

Clear the disk of any existing file systems using random pattern - as the partition will be encrypted this will disguise the partitions and data held on it. It will take some time to complete - hours if you are having a big storage device.

# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdy status=progress bs=10M

End of quote.

I don't recommend this at all. It would kill your ssd. I would advise to load live Manjaro KDE and open KDE Partition Manager and remove the junk, e.g. lvm and then do lsblk and sudo wipefs --all /dev/sdx

All I do is in Calamares use manual partitioning and choose make a new partition table, this wipes everything.

I guess that the tutorial suggests to overwrite data because it's the only way to protect the previously stored information from data recovery tools. I think this is not really effective on SSD, the best option is cell clearing.
Anyway, there is nothing to worry about, you don't kill an SSD writing hundreds of GBs of random data, you need hundreds of TBs on average on modern SSDs.

If your SSD supports it, could use the ATA Secure Erase command. I do this before each new OS install. Works on my Samsung 850 Evo.

1 Like

I'd only ever use the manufacturer's tool to do a secure erase as it is far quicker. Micron for example offer a command line executable which works with their crucial brand products. Samsung offer a bootable secure erase tool as well. Others offer similar.

true, it's just a complete waste of time waiting for it to complete.

Why would that kill the SSD?

Please provide some backing for your claim that such procedure would kill a SSD.

1 Like

With linux it is straightforward with ssd's. Just boot the live media, delete the partitions, under devices select create new partition table, select gpt or mbr., now you can install whatever os you would like that will work with your hardware.

not quite, the old data still remains on the drive until over-written which can impact on drive performance. The secure erase using the manufacturer tool is hardware based and will clear all cells, restoring performance to factory fresh levels at the same time. It scrambles data and clears the whole drive in a matter of seconds.

No, it won't. At least not on the first try, and probably neither on the 10th try.

Also, I doubt that overwriting SSDs with either random data or zeros cleans up everything.
Data might still survive in the caches or in the hidden "spare" areas which you cannot access with high-level tools.

To clear a SSD quickly, simply use
sudo blkdiscard /dev/sdX.

If your device supports ATA Secure Erase, you can use that as well. Most devices don't.

Actually the various manufactures applications send a small current through the drive resetting every cell to the factory default. @anon23612428 i have yet to run into a SSD that ATA Secure Erase does not work on.

1 Like

The normal Secure Erase should work, but not the "advanced" Secure Erase.
In fact, I have never come across an SSD where the latter works correctly :wink:

Yeah, good manufacturers provide ISOs to boot and kill the drive.

If security is not so important and you just want to trim the device, the blkdiscard is the simplest way to clear it, and I think it's also what's used by some mkfs.* tools.

I have one SSD while a friend has five from various manufactures. I use a program called PartedMagic which you create a live key for. Rather it is his system or mine I boot into that and click the erase disk that'a right on it's desktop and select the ATA Secure Erase function. Have never know this not to work.

I have used PartedMagic for many years and still have an old version of it that I used exactly for that single purpose :slight_smile:
Unfortunately it isn't free anymore.

Yes, it always worked, but not the Advanced Secure Erase. Most devices don't support the advanced mode and simply run in normal mode.
At least that's my experience with various older Intels and Samsungs.
I now normally use the manufacturer's tools or blkdiscard.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by