About FreeOffice - it's not being installed by default

Hey.

To try and make this more visible even though it has been posted about a lot already:

Manjaro will not be installing FreeOffice by default.

This isn't happening.

The RC5 and RC6 installer images included FreeOffice so it could be tested. Based on that feedback, Softmaker are making changes to the free edition of their office suite. This benefits all users of the free edition.

The final 18.1.0 images, depending on the edition and choices of the edition maintainer, will either:

1. Allow you to select which office software suite you would like to install
  2. Not include FreeOffice

This is made possible by improvements to Calamares as it will now allow for different package selections on install. Calamares is used by a number of different distributions so this change benefits all those distributions.

So to summarise: this whole process is helping a company support Linux as a platform, brings more choice to Manjaro, and helps a wide range of other Linux distributions.

Manjaro Juhraya ISOs got updated

Office can be selected during installation between libreoffice-still or freeoffice: XFCE, KDE, Gnome

104 Likes

That's cool..

Only Office one love!

1 Like

glad that got sorted

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for the clarification.

2 Likes

Thank you for listening to your community. But still, I wonder what are the "changes" that will Softmaker do to FreeOffice.

1 Like

Just perfect !!!

No need to be suspicious I think...
I guess no big ones, but hopefully for the better :slight_smile:

So far:

12 Likes

I am glad this is sorted out. Please Manjaro, do not become like MS Windows. The last upgrade to Win10 was like "take it or leave it". I left Win10 to build an OS that is suited to my needs. I am a dedicated LibreOffice user. LibreOffice or FreeOffice is a good option. Let the user decide. I had to get this off my chest.

13 Likes

Yeah, that was the offensive one that got many folks riled up. Glad that will be fixed....

As I've posted elsewhere, people shouldn't be quite so hard on FreeOffice. I transitioned my father to Linux and he pays for FreeOffice for the MS Office compatibility since he really depends on MS Office and needed something to wean him off...

3 Likes

People should get this info out to more people so that they don't give up on Manjaro. Some people have already declared that they will avoid Manjaro on YouTube...

1 Like

That's pretty much every video which mentions Manjaro... YouTube is full of hyperbole no matter which comments you read.

17 Likes

Did you try WPS Office?

Perfect! I'm happy to see that you decided this way.

Awesome!

If libreoffice werent so ugly we wouldnt be in this situation. And also with better office support.

Edit: libreoffice looks good, but its clear people want ribbon, and libreoffice ribbon is still too simple

4 Likes

I really hope we get to select other types of software as well.

2 Likes

I personally always felt it wasnt the most attractive office solution, I hope FreeOffice opens up their free software to full ODT DOC DOCX etc support

Also LO does not play nicely with plasma theme or KDE in general (although I understand they are making small steps). So a Calligra option would be nice to have also.

But all the foregoing is mostly off-topic. The important message: Thank you, Manjaro Devs for listening to the community, even the intemperate voices.

5 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by