A text editor that shares gedit's window template

First I need to explain what I mean by a “window template.” Please see the picture above.

You’ll see that, on the left, gedit and Firefox share the same (borderless) window template and that, on the right, geany and the terminal emulator share another (with borders all round).

Questions

1. What is the proper term for what I have called a “window template”? (It would seem unlikely that the developer of each package should create one from scratch. There must be a “template” or “library” they invoke?)

2. What are the names of the template the picture’s four packages (two columns) use?

3. Is it possible to tweak e.g. geany so that it would use gedit’s template?

4. Assuming 3 is not possible, how can I find a text editor that uses gedit’s template? (Maybe once I am told the names of the templates, I could just search.)

What’s motivating all this is that I would like to use apps without borders round them if possible–just as a matter esthetic preference.

I am using XFCE if that makes a difference. Thanks.

some apps are gtk2 and some are gtk3 or gtk4 and xfce apps are no CSD
template is : window decorator (to view also CSD)
CSD apps are for gnome first.

not possible, app is written for CSD (title bar in app) ! but there are plugins to do the opposite “*** nocsd” who add a title bar…

1 Like

Window decorations is likely the better searchable term for it.

As @papajoke suggests, these are often reliant on GTK flavours/versions; and associated theming, in some cases.

If you were using KDE, you would also be dealing with both GTK and Qt5/6 rendering; it seems almost inescapable, unless one specifically cherry picks applications to use, based on how they were built. If using Electron-based apps, it’s often different again.

Regarding Firefox; the missing title bar (by default) is not actually due to GTK, but Mozilla’s decision to hide the title bar (and the toolbar) by default.

I’ve never seen Geany without more-or-less typical window decorations. Nor have I seen any themes used that change that by any significant degree.

You’re using XFCE, which I haven’t used (generally) in a long time, and I don’t recall specifically the theming system used. However it could be worth looking for a global theme (or similar) in case there is one that might approximate the look and feel you’re hoping for – very thin (or zero-width) borders, for example.

You can aso install and configure new themes via SettingsKvantum Manager or play with default styles in SettingsAppearance. These offer some limited control of appearance, though not specifically over window decoration.

Thanks. How do I find out then which GTK flavor gedit is using?

I just looked at a bunch apps, and they line up like this

• Borderless: gthumb, meld
  • Border-bound: htop, qbittorrent, smplayer, thunar, vlc media player

So I am thinking I might 1. find out the GTK flavor used by the borderless apps and 2. look for (cherrypick) a text editor using that flavor.

It also occurs to me I might install all the editors one after another until I light on one that is borderless. But I would have thought there was a smarter way to go about it.

I am not sure I want to go this route. There are already several apps whose windows are borderless (without my having to change global settings or install new things). So I am hoping I could find a text editor that similarly “already” behaves that way.

I think the best resolve reduces to Trial and Error, as this isn’t an issue for Manjaro to solve, but a case of user preference. There is no list of apps, at least none that I’m aware of, but I know that GTK based apps have traditionally adopted the Adwaita style or theme, generally, so if nothing else, that’s a visual cue to look out for.

I tend to focus on the features of an editor, rather that it’s appearance, though I concede some do look better than others.

1 Like

no, since gtk3, apps can use CSD, and only gtk3 and gtk4 apps can use CSD. It’s in source code, only a developer’s choice, it’s not possible to know before install (screenshots in pamac gui ?)

2 Likes