A technical question about pamac

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

First … please dont bump.

Second I am going to focus on pointing out you generally do not want to use an aur-helper for blanket system updates. yay used to be considered pretty sane … but still.
For what its worth, this is how I update if I want to update repo and aur at once:

sudo pacman -Syu && yay -Sua --devel
1 Like

This looks like the same as first running sudo pacman -Syu then yay -Syu, not sure if there are any major differences between the two.

I’m curious as to why yay and pamac give different results when it comes to development package updates and why the --devel option in pamac doesn’t seem to do anything (as written in my previous posts).

Sorry about bumping. I have a huge patience issue when it comes to tech support and it’s something I need to get over.

yay --devel certainly produces a different result for me (when updates are available)
The -a does make a difference. From the man page

-a, --aur
              Assume all targets are from the AUR. Additionally Actions such as sysupgrade will only act on AUR packages.

Note that dependency resolving will still act normally and include repository packages.

As to devel…

--devel
              During sysupgrade also check AUR development packages for updates. Currently only Git packages are supported.

Devel checking is done using git ls-remote. The newest commit hash is compared against the hash at install time. This allows devel updates to be checked almost instantly
              and not require the original pkgbuild to be downloaded.

The slower pacaur-like devel checks can be implemented manually by piping a list of packages into yay (see examples).

I cannot speak to pamac as I dont use it.