A lot of freezes with AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Thanks, I’ll do some tests too :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you think it could be caused by an M.2 NVME drive? I don’t recall having that many issues until I switched to a different drive. I believe it did freeze a few times in the past, but never under Windows. Now, it does happen under Windows as well.

I have removed the heatsink on the M.2 drive and just reinstalled it and left the bottom cover off. Seems stable so far. I don’t see how that could affect the stability of the system only while it’s fully charged and plugged in, but we’ll see. :slight_smile:

It seems that it could be a problem with my M.2 drive. I found this post on reddit from a user who seems to have the same problem with his Western Digital SN550. I hope this is helpful for the people that are experiencing this and I’ll definitely try some of their suggestions or just pop back my old M.2 drive if it doesn’t solve my problem. The original post : https://www.reddit.com/r/pop_os/comments/g8y3ae/experiencing_random_freezes_after_installing_new/

A quote from the user in question :
"I’m a fedora user and I just installed the 500GB version of the WD SN550 in my Motile M141 (Ryzen 3 - 3200U) laptop. I’ve been seeing the same thing as you initially described, but I don’t have a USB-C dock to remove! :slight_smile: I’ve tried going back to Fedora 31 (initially installed F32 beta), but it still happened there. Currently running from the Live USB to see if the freeze happens again or not. It’s definitely driving me nuts, and like you pointed out, there doesn’t seem to be any useful info in logs.

I did stumble across these links which mention disabling some power saving functionality with a kernel boot parameter. I have not tried them out yet, so try them at your own risk"

Maybe it’s time for you to stop hijacking this thread and open your own with proper information if you want support?

I did provide some useful information. I didn’t come on this forum for a solution per say, but looking for clues as to what could be causing my problem. I think it’s a problem that someone else could have and if it can save some people a few days of headaches, I’m happy about that… I understand now why some people are scared to ask for help when you have to face this kind of reaction. Unbelievable.

I mean you’re kinda trying to troubleshoot your issue in this thread. By separating issues in threads it helps search results. Now do as you see fit :slight_smile:

In the last few days I have had new problems. The audio output has stopped working. Also, a problem that I had not yet reported is that inserting a USB stick, the keyboard or sometimes the mouse stopped working. I tried from a Manjaro live-usb and the problem is there too, so it’s not a kernel question. In desperation I even tried to install Windows 10, but even there the audio output no longer works and there is the same problem with the keyboard and mouse when inserting a USB stick. I did a long ram test that didn’t give me any errors, so I decided to return the motherboard as faulty, because at least for these last problems I think it’s the real culprit. I will probably change MOBO hoping not to bring back the same problems.
For now, I’m back to my old MOBO and CPU. Old but gold!
As for me, this long thread can now be closed.
Thank you all!
:wave: :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.