A GUI "app shop" for Manjaro

I do install a lot of friends & some independant professionals whether with Xubuntu or with Manjaro xfce
These users are really “main stream” users & usually come from the Redmond world.

Manjaro is usually handier both for me (easier to finalize) & them (more stable, no version upgrade…)

But, they really lack a GUI software library, a utility where they can search for software by theme, see software description, advices, ratings… Like the *buntu software center.

I feel its the number one reason that hinders a much higher (& deserved) popularity of Manjaro.

I know some might have cultural opinions on that but in 2017, UX is a prerequisite (or the projects stay @ experimental level)

Pamac already has most of what you request.

You should already know it

• Search by keyword - try office, drawing, image, picture
  • Groups
  • AUR activation
  • Double click a package for info
    • Details
    • Dependencies
    • Files

Could this not be an improvement path for pamac. A bit in the spirit of the gnome-software. After all, we are a user-friendly distribution.

If you’re willing to switch to KDE, simply install Discover, it’s in the community repo. Sorry, not a XFCE user.

there is also gnome software available in repos.
but they both have the same desaventage (discover and gnome sofware) it’s that they depends on archlinux-appstream-data and this databse is for arch then it may contains package manjaro don’t have and miss package arch don’t have.
like as I explain in an other thread about discover. like as it is now. (without a manjaro specific appstream database) discover can’t “find” package that is not in the appstream database without entering the package full name (ex: firefox-kde, thunderbird-kde, juffed, or any specific library or module like as php-gd, etc, etc)

I don’t know if gnome software will ever find packages not in the appstream database I never tested it.

I use pamac, no problem for me, but try to have a total newbee fresh moved from W$, 70 years old use it.

It feels like w3m vs Firefox for such users :wink:

I really mean a user friendly tool (I’m on xfce, not really wanting to add kde dependencies to these installs)

Some of the people I do install ask me for Xubuntu for this only reason ! (another reason is that some institutions only know *buntus, like the estonian e-residency program, but this is another matter)

You dont have to switch to Plasma, Discover is just normal Qt software, as all the Software made by KDE is nowadays. There are not fat 50MiB kdelibs anymore, but simple, small Qt-addons (called framework 5)

Right, sorry for forgetting how modular KDE has become these days :smiley:

Well, installing (& uninstalling) it convinced me even more on the need !
Lots of K dependencies, 30Mo and …totally obscure (I’d prefer to explain pamac to my “converted” rather than explain discover ^^)

I’m harsh, but deeply feel the interest of a decent “app store” for the very success of Manjaro :wink:

@nam1962
I have been looking at the archlinux-appstream-data - it is based on data generated by appstream-generator https://github.com/ximion/appstream-generator

It should only be necessarry to generate a package like archlinux-appstream-data - of course renamed to manjaro-appstream-data

@huluti
If no one else are thinking of getting into it - I will begin working on implementing an interface for Manjaro.
It will be for the gnome-software app

Nice !
Let an open door for translations :wink:

I agree with the “Software” GUI for newbies. I understand there is pacman for the CLI, there is Octopi and Pamac and Pacaur…but the OP nailed it, describing how these “fall short” with new users. We live in a world where users have become accustomed to browsing Google Play or Apple Appstore to look for software, read reviews, and make decisions regarding installation. It’s not a right vs. wrong…it’s simply a matter of what one is used to and, therefore, expects. If expectations are not met, it is viewed as “inferior” or “not yet ready.”

IMO, the popularity of Ubuntu and Mint distros can largely be attributed to their user-friendly Software Center/AppGrids. It looks like the familiar Google Play, or Apple Appstore, both of which make it easy for a new user to “discover” an application to perform a task the way they want it done. Manjaro is already pretty awesome, IMO, but if the goal is increased usability and increased popularity with a user base, a Software Center type application certainly won’t hold it back; and may, in fact, attract an influx of “new” users who are expecting this feature.

This isn’t rocket science. To make a distro more usable, or more popular, you simply duplicate what “other” more usable and popular distros have done. Once achieved, to surpass them, you must innovate. These do not have to be mutually exclusive concepts. JMO…

Chalk me up as an enthusiastic +1 for this idea!

While when I was a new Linux user I quite liked the whole app centre thing, as I’ve grown more accustomed to Linux I now prefer using package managers. They’re simple, they work as expected and you can install a bunch of stuff without causing the software to crash. I quite like the design of the Solus OS software centre because it sort of blends the best of both worlds. It looks modern, and has icons and software descriptions while still functioning like a package manager.
Another idea I have been toying with is that the Arch Wiki has one of the best lists of Linux applications on the planet - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications - which is well organised into different categories. If only this information could be implemented someway into the package managers. This could make discovering new software much easier.

While a newbie-friendlier gui might be helpful for new users, I would hope it would be developed separately from Pamac or Octopi. I have absolutely no love for app store style package managers.

@Huluti @nam1962
I found there is no need to improve on Pamac in this regard.

The gnome-software app is using appstream.

I found appstream-glib in the repo and have succesfully tested it against Manjaro repo.

I agree. As for me, there might be cases that I even don’t know the name of the application which could provide the best solution for my problem. It might be very helpful if there is a gui app shop to give me guidance and suggestions.

It would be an ambiguous sussess to get more users who do not want or have no time to learn about how Linux works.

Well… I installed about 50 individuals. They don’t care about how Linux, W$ or OS X works. Shifting to Linux was not applying to a degree for them, their goal is to use their computer, not to manage it.
Just like they don’t care about the engine of their car.

If UX is not a priority for Manjaro, the pitch should be amended :

Manjaro is a user-friendly Linux distribution based on the independently developed Arch operating system. Developed in Austria, France, and Germany, Manjaro provides all the benefits of the Arch operating system combined with a focus on user-friendliness and accessibility. Available in both 32 and 64 bit versions, Manjaro is suitable for newcomers as well as experienced Linux users.

They would be better served with a fixed release model distro where everithing works for half a year at least.
PS: I would not recommend anything based on what they write on their homepage in About…

I have to agree with this. As on the one hand many Linux users are trying to promote Linux as a better OS choice for everyone. And the majority of everyone 90% don’t want to understand cryptic terminal commands and flags to get things done. They want to replace their problematic windows desktop to get away from the mess. They didn’t learn or use the cmd or edit their registry or fix. They got someone else to fix it for them.

Many times I see way to much of the “Linux fanboys” touting Linux is the ultimate solution to their troubles and to make the move. Without clarifying that commitment of time and discipline of learning and changing behaviors is required to make it work. And find All Distro’s kind of guilty through omission of what is really required. When promoting their distro on their home pages.

Am constantly annoyed with the “make the switch you will be glad you did” and other shallow statements without clarifying and addressing the needs of the majority of non-technical users on the deeper levels of usability. Which are the Majority of Users of computers.