4 Pole Combo Jack | One Thing Keeping Me Away From Linux

So my laptop has a combo jack. It’s usable as a line in, headphone, microphone, headset, any 3.5mm jack. On Linux however, it only works as a headphone jack. How do I make it so I can use it as a headset jack so I can use the earbuds and the mic on my earphones simultaneously? I’ve tried the alsa-base.conf file, didn’t work. I’ve tried running on the latest kernel, didn’t work. I’ve tried hdajackretask, didn’t work. Could really use some help here…

Here are some details: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=23d794d08fb1bdd32533032840b73033ca8e0947

Update: With hdajackretask, pin 0x19 is the pink pin for the microphone recognised by the system. However, when I plug in my earphones, there is nothing picked up by this new microphone option. Also, after this if I unplug the earphones, I can no longer use the laptop’s internal mic and it’s perpetually displayed as unplugged till I restart, and the microphone for that pin is still displayed as plugged in but picks up no volume at all.

Node 0x19 in alsa-info data is showing detected as a Speaker not a microphone

!!HDA-Intel Codec information
Node 0x19 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40048b: Stereo Amp-In
  Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x03, stepsize=0x27, mute=0
  Amp-In vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x00003724: IN Detect
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80 100
  Pin Default 0x411111f0: [N/A] Speaker at Ext Rear
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
    DefAssociation = 0xf, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN VREF_HIZ
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3 EPSS
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0

and Node 0x19 is not present in !!ALSA/HDA dmesg section.
Only the Internal Mic (Node 0x12) is correctly detected

I suggest you run sudo hdajackretask and then Remove boot override
and try first to get audio working with a kernel modprobe option
hdajacksensetest and hdajackretask are good tools for adjusting an audio codec but
do not work well when used at the same time as a modprobe option

Another Manjaro user posted about the same model laptop recently (Aspire E5-573G)
3.5mm input headphone microphone are not working
I could not find a modprobe option for this model but the modprobe option alc255-acer is for the same ALC255 audio codec as Aspire E5-523G and Aspire ES1-432

patch_realtek.c - sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c - Linux source code (v5.10.4) - Bootlin
{ 0x19, 0x01a1913c }, /* use as headset mic, without its own jack detect */

(This modprobe patch does affect Node 0x19 so you were probably retasking the right pin, but it was not registering the configuration change in alsa-info data)

I suggest you remove the 2 modprobe options index=0 and model=dell-headset-multi from file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and try this model option instead
snd_hda_intel model=alc255-acer

1 Like

No change with using the modprobe option with the config file. It’s as if the system doesn’t care about the file.