2023-06-05 update broke gnome-shell

When I moved entire ~/.config to ~/.config.bak I was able to log in, just like with a new user. So the culprit seems to be located somewhere in ~/.config.

EDIT: the thing causing problems for me was ~/.config/dconf/user. I’m gonna purge that and recreate my Gnome settings.

EDIT 2: well, gnome is still throwing core dumps and restarting on some occasions, but at least I can use the system.

Yep, I’ve filed a bug report on Arch now too (FS#78723, can’t embed a link currently) with debugging symbols for the coredump.

2 Likes

I found this Title bar becomes transparent and other glitches from an XWayland window (#2725) · Issues · GNOME / mutter · GitLab

@ehb00, my comments get deleted on the arch linux bugtracker so I’m gonna ask my question here. It seems I’m not a “sacred arch user”, and I’m not allowed to comment there. This zealotry is very counter-productive but so be it.

which commit did you use that fixed the issue for you? I’ve downgraded to commit d5abf1b1ba3209b167efac5bf531193dd3d91b85 (tag: 1.8.3-6) and I just had another crash, with about the same logs.

It seems the culprit is now found:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.