1st time user

kde

Hi, I am using Manjaro Kde 18.0 Stable for last few days. Previously using kubuntu.

I have 2 noob questions sorry in advance.

1. Do I need to manually update this OS, In kubuntu I either ran a cmd in terminal or used application-system-Sofware Updates.
    Or is updates not required as its a different type of release.

2. Is this OS more buggy than kubuntu. I didnt have any issues with kubuntu just liked the idea of a change and ive noticed alot of manjaro news on linux magazines.
    I only mention it because of the informaton on forum expect crashes. I’ve only used 2 days :wink: has been fine.

Their is alot more friendly guides on google and youtube with ubuntu. But wanted something different hopefully its going to work out :slight_smile:

Thanks
Rick

This is a rolling release so you will get notified almost each 2 weeks to do the updates via Octopi. Make sure you read also the announcements from the stable branch.

Is updating more often, things can happen, but Manjaro passes trough unstable and testing before it hits stable and usually things get fixed if there are issues, and there is always presented a workaround (for known issues but no proper fix yet) with the announcements.

You say that this community is not friendly and has no guides?

no i meant friendly as in easy to follow guides. thanks for your quick response to my questions.

Stick around! You will see how is to start not only liking a community but LOVE it :wink:
Welcome to Manjaro!

Rickardo,

I’m a recent user of Manjaro - I’ve been through 3 reasonably sized updates with no negative impact on the system function; my hardware was built from salvaged parts with a new hard drive. Not needed any “work-arounds” yet. There are plenty of resources around to help with problems or just information. Not necessarily YouTube videos though.
Lots of help here - as you can see.

• manually updating

Just as @bogdancovaciu said.

• is it unstable?

Mostly no. The Manjaro team checks and tests the packages before releasing them to the public. Instability only might happen if there is a big issue to be fixed immediately but even then packages are being checked before release.

I use Manjaro over a year now and it didn’t let me down once except for the problem I had with proprietary Nvidia drivers in the beginning.

How you update is up to you. On a fresh install, updates are already set to automatic. You can turn that off and do it manually with pamac-manager (kind-of-like synaptic, but better), or in the terminal.

I do it manually at every startup in the terminal.

Really?

You will get a notification when updates are available and can easily install them from there.

Manjaro doesn’t have automatic updates unless it was recently added.

The kde edition comes with octopi, not pamac-manager

“Automatic updates”…my bad. Should have been “automatic notification”.

Also, I thought pamac-manager was on all releases.

I guess I’ll just stfu and color.

Sorry about that.

afaik octopi is used on KDE and Openbox only - at least that’s what is written in the Manjaro wiki.

Speaking of octopi - what’s the difference between it and pamac under the hood?

I did experiment with installing pamac-QT in a KDE Virtual Box. It seemed to work and was easy to do, so you can update that way, I believe.

while many might consider this an advantage, i dont. yes, many more people use ubuntu so there are many more people who already had any problems you may come across, the problem is that there is too much info, and much of it is crap and poorly organized leaving the person looking for help to start trying one solution after another and then 1 problem becomes 2 or 3 problems. i personally find manjaro to be a much easier/better/superior distro.
on ubuntu if you want whats latest/greatest or even some software that isnt late/great you start piling on the PPA’s . not to mention the amount of apps i installed on ubuntu/mint that just plain did not work.
on manjaro just about any software you need you can find in either the manjaro repo or the Arch User Repo and you have access to both right from the package manager. and as for how user friendly manjaro is, you would be hard pressed to find a community more willing to help than the manjaro forums and there is always someone that has already had your same issue and help fixing it right here on the forum and even if not, you dont see many new help posts that even go 5-10 minutes without someone willing to jump in and help provided the post isnt ridiculously vague like “my manjaro is broke, help me” which helps nobody or if its a problem that has been solved already and could of been avoided had the user just do a quick forum search.

i have never had any issues caused by updates, and besides if this is a concern of yours you could just run a ‘timeshift’ backup before updating. if it does break something you can hit the “rewind” button and go back to any saved point in time and hold off for a few days or figure out what caused it and work around it. i would recommend backup either way regardless of distro. it enables you to feel more comfortable in terms of experimenting with things you may have previously been uncomfortable doing due to worry of breaking your install.

on both openbox and kde i use pamac. not a big fan of octopi. point being use what you like, they both do the job just fine.

I’m a newbie to Manjaro too. I hope i don’t break any rules in recommending this. This is what i recommend.

1. Goto system settings & Configure the standard hot-key to call up a terminal.
    1.1 system settings,
    1.2 custom shortcuts,
    1.3 enable “Examples” &
    1.4 drill down,
    1.5 enable Run Konsole
    1.6 Apply before you dismiss the window, else the changes will not take effect.

This procedure will save you a lot of anxiety in the future!

1. open a terminal
    ctrl-alt-t

2. The following procedure i got from 1 of Spatrys videos. From the terminal that you just opened, run the command
    sudo pacman -Syyuu

all of that is optional and none of that is necessary, F11 will drop down the yakuake terminal and type away, open as many tabs as you like without need of open/closing since it just tucks away when your done with it

-Syyu will do a system update
-Syyuu will do a system downgrade , u=upgrade uu=downgrade
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman_Tips

I would only add to do a regular backups because things can go south on rolling release, especially if you are newbie. It’s pretty common to break your installs for few times if you are new to Manjaro or new to Linux in general. Once you figure out how it works, Manjaro can be a very stable system but it also depends on your hardware. Manjaro runs for years on many our computers but there are some that had system failures after updates so this is a possibility.

So once again, backup, backup and once more backup. Timeshift is helpful to do that.

Generally, Ubuntu based distros could be treated as install and forget, just use the system. On rolling, cutting edge systems like Manjaro are more demanding, although if you learn how to do it properly, it’s easy and simple, at least for some. You must see for yourself if that suits you or not. It’s definitely more fun and more learning experience but some simply want to use computer without playing around the system and packages.

If you decide to keep Manjaro, be part of the community, see update announcements to find and fix potential problems, or report your owns to find help. Learn about pacman and AUR and how to use them or how to resolve potential problems that may arise from using AUR (update incompatibilities). Learn how to update configs (compare pacnew with current configs and properly integrate new features), clear your pacman caches to avoid running out of space. So as you see, there is some learning curve.

wow, thanks digit! C watt i mean? even newbies like me get 2 learn something!

thanks 4 the tip! i’m using backintime with ubuntu bec it was the only backup i could find at that time that did incremental backups. i understand both backintime & timeshift use rsync. Henceforth i might get another USB disk to run timeshift. Thanks again for the tip, appreciate it!

they both work, the important part is that you backup regardless of which app you use to do it.

no problem, im still one of those newbies myself

closed #20

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.