12-year-old Packard-Bell laptop - unable to install Manjaro-xfce ...

I was given a 12-year-old laptop the other day: a Packard-Bell Easynote MX-37 (model: ALP AJAX C3). It has a dual-core Pentium T2310 CPU@1.47GHz.

I installed Linux Lite on it (an Ubuntu-based distro, 64-bit) and this runs well and tried to dual-boot it with MJ-xfce. However, neither 32-bit nor 64-bit MJ would boot fully from the installation DVD, getting stuck at the following screen notification:

I'd appreciate any help / advice with this ...
Many thanks.

1 Like

Looks to me like the Display Manager can't start. Please go to TTY2 and check systemctl status lightdm.

Thanks for your reply Strit, but how do I access tty2 from the 'frozen' boot screen shown above? I'm not familiar with this.

You should be able to with CTRL+ALT+F2.

1 Like

Here is the output from tty2:
lightdm

Does this mean that MJ-xfce 32-bit can't be installed on this model of laptop (32-bit versions of Linux Lite 3.8 and antiX 17.4.1 can be installed & run well without any apparent display problems) ? I've installed MJ on several different laptop models from 4 to 12 years old; this is the first time I've experienced an installation problem.

Check the journal for errors. There may be some other clue to what is happening.

journalctl -xe -p3 -b

EDIT: your CPU supports 64bit instructions, so you can always try another 64bit MJ edition.

EDIT: you can also try an older 32bit edition and then update.

2 Likes

Yes, I was thinking this myself, as the older MJ versions will be biased towards older machines. However, where will I find the MJ-xfce 32-bit iso-file archive for downloading?

1 Like

@mbb
In response to your idea, I downloaded MJ-xfce edition 16.10.3.
However, I finally got stuck with a blank screen & flashing cursor, when loading the installation DVD, after the initial setting of language and timezone, i.e. it didn't complete booting to the xfce live desktop.

How long did you wait? It can take quite a bit. If it really doesn't boot get back to the newer ISO and check the journal as I said 3 topics ago.

I waited about 10 minutes

Output from the tty2 for the above is:

Maybe the log from Xorg or LightDM contain more useful information.

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
cat /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

@mbb
Many thanks for your further help. Output from the tty2 is as follows:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Is there any way to get round the "permission denied" issue?

You'd have to use sudo I am assuming. If it asks for a password, manjaro should be the password.

2 Likes

Maybe it's better to get the output of cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

It says vesa can't be loaded. This means that either your graphic card isn't being detected correctly or the chosen driver is unable to load. What is the brand and model of the laptop?

Packard-Bell Easynote MX37, model AJ300 (a.k.a. ALP AJAX C3)
(manufactured ~2007)emphasized text

@realmain
@mbb
Thanks for mentioning sudo, to get permission; sudo su got me into root, from the tty2.
Re-running this code:

I get

um... I don't think you should be running this command... you should have just used:

sudo cat /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark