[Stable Update] 2022-08-07 - Kernels, Nvidia, Thunderbird, Cinnamon, Glibc, GCC, LibreOffice, Firefox, MangoHud, KDE-git

Hello community,

Another stable branch update with some usual updates for you.

Checkout the store. From 2nd till 7th we offer 20% discount!

• All our Kernels got rebuilt against GCC/GLIBC update
    • Note: 5.17 series got dropped from our repos. Please adopt to 5.18 or 5.19 series.
  • Firefox-Dev got a new beta release
  • Firefox is now at 103.0.1
  • LibreOffice got renewed to 7.3.5
  • MangoHud got updated to 0.6.8
  • Thunderbird is now at 91.12.0
  • Cinnamon got further updates
  • All our Nvidia drivers got updated: 390.154, 470.141.03, 515.65.01
  • Regular KDE-git, Python and Haskell updates

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

:information_source: You may need to rebuild any AUR packages that install files to site-packages 

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.254
  • linux54 5.4.209
  • linux510 5.10.135
  • linux515 5.15.59
  • linux518 5.18.16
  • linux519 5.19.0
  • linux515-rt 5.15.55_rt48
  • linux518-rt 5.18.0_rt11
  • linux519-rt 5.19.0_rt10

Package Changes (Thu Aug 4 07:50:13 CEST 2022)

• stable community x86_64: 567 new and 553 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 40 new and 43 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 443 new and 452 removed package(s)
  • stable kde-unstable x86_64: 242 new and 241 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 27 new and 25 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package updates can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

13 Likes

Known issues and solutions

:information_source: This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
:star: Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please don’t post to say everything was great on my side or yes, I have the same error but leave the space for people having issues, or even better: for people having solutions!
Use :beer: :coffee: :heart: instead to let us know you’re suffering from the same so we can respond to the highest impacted issues first! :unicorn: :rainbow: :question:

:arrow_right: 2022-08-07

Glibc 2.36 update will break EasyAntiCheat within Proton

Temporary workaround for now is to use the flatpak version of steam:

sudo pacman -S flatpak --needed --noconfirm
sudo flatpak install com.valvesoftware.Steam -y

You can use flatseal (another flatpak app) to grant it access to your existing game library so you don’t have to re-download your games (add the game library install path under “Other files” under “Filesystem”).

sudo flatpak install com.github.tchx84.Flatseal -y

For advanced users (not recommended by us): patched glibc and lib32-glibc are available here. They remove the commit that broke EAC.

2022-07-29

KDE Wayland: Kickoff "KDE menu", notifications and tooltips show in the upper left corner
  • This is due to an upstream packaging bug, which has since been reverted.
  • In the meantime, you can (temporarily) disable the associated Wayland feature (thanks @ufo_driver):
sudo echo 'export QT_WAYLAND_DISABLE_FIXED_POSITIONS=1' > /etc/profile.d/qt5-wayland-regression.sh
  • It should now be fixed with qt5-wayland 5.15.5+kde+r38-3.
Missing dependency 'gcc8-libs=8.5.0-1' required by gcc8
  • This happens even while gcc8-libs is already installed (8.5.0-1).
  • Fixed by manually uninstalling gcc8 and gcc8-libs.

2022-07-18

wxWidgets 3.2 update may need manual intervention

Packages have been renamed from wxgtk- to wxwidgets-. The GTK2 frontend is no longer provided. If you have wxgtk2 installed, the upgrade will fail with:

In such case, uninstall wxgtk2 first and then proceed with the upgrade.

2022-07-12

Wireplumber 0.4.11 may crash for GDM users

Currently there is an issue with 0.4.11 and GDM crashing on boot-up. More in the upstream bugtracker issue: wireplumber segfault: system boot and could see in my dmesg (#305) · Issues · PipeWire / wireplumber · GitLab

2022-06-12

Akonadi (KMail / Kontact / KOrganizer...) fails to start
touch ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ib_logfile0
akonadictl start
mariadb-upgrade --defaults-file=~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --socket=/run/user/$(id -u)/akonadi/mysql.socket
Locale file changes

C.UTF8 locale is now included in glibc:

Credits @diabonas for this change. Systemd wants us to include C.UTF8 by default and it seems the locale may be in included by glibc upstream in the future. To fix building and avoid nasty fixing in devtools, we include the locale in the package. See systemd/systemd#23252 (comment) FS#74864 : [systemd] >= 251 breaks devtools' locale

There is a pacsave for /etc/locale.conf as it has been removed from the filesystem package. /etc/locale.conf will automatically be restored if it did not already exist.

There is a pacnew for /etc/locale.gen. Please review it and regenerate your locale if necessary.

2022-05-13

Chromium / Google Chrome cannot save files to most folders (GNOME and Xfce)

This is an upstream bug with the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

In the meantime, you can try to remove the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome (if feasible, without any dependency issues or conflicts), or wait for the bug to be fixed upstream.

Without any xdg-desktop-portal-* packages, Chromium and Google Chrome should correctly detect the environment and present either KDialog (KDE) or GTK file picker (GNOME, Xfce) upon saving and downloading files.

An alternative workaround, for now, is to intentionally click on the filename field, and then press Enter to save / download the file.

GNOME 42: theming and COSMIC packages changes, Bluetooth disabled by default
libkipi: Pamac fails to build the package from AUR
  • libkipi is a deprecated dependency for some KDE applications, and has been moved to AUR.
  • When using Pamac graphically, you can disable the update for libkipi, before removing it from your system.
  • When using Pamac from the terminal, you can proceed the update in multiple steps:
pamac upgrade --no-aur
pamac remove libkipi
pamac upgrade --aur
Timeshift: new rsync snapshots do not show
Wine: cannot be built locally
4 Likes

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but this glibc update breaks games with EasyAntiCheat. So don’t update, when you’re playing those.

too late :sweat_smile: is there any way to reverse the glibc update?

I’m getting

Error: Installation of nvidia-utils (515.65.01-2) violates dependency “nvidia-utils=515.57”, needed by linux517-nvidia

So install a different kernel first:

mhwd-kernel --install linux515

Then reboot into it, remove the older one:

mhwd-kernel --remove linux517

And do the update again.

3 Likes

Oh, I missed that. Thanks a lot, working now.

1 Like

During update:

warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_ADDRESS
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_COLLATE
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_CTYPE
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_IDENTIFICATION
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_MEASUREMENT
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/SYS_LC_MESSAGES
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_MONETARY
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_NAME
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_NUMERIC
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_PAPER
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_TELEPHONE
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_TIME

The path is missing first forward slash, the files are there:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/
total 392
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    127 Jul 31 23:47 LC_ADDRESS
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1406 Jul 31 23:47 LC_COLLATE
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 353616 Jul 31 23:47 LC_CTYPE
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    258 Jul 31 23:47 LC_IDENTIFICATION
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     23 Jul 31 23:47 LC_MEASUREMENT
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Aug  7 16:05 LC_MESSAGES
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    270 Jul 31 23:47 LC_MONETARY
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     62 Jul 31 23:47 LC_NAME
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     50 Jul 31 23:47 LC_NUMERIC
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     34 Jul 31 23:47 LC_PAPER
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     47 Jul 31 23:47 LC_TELEPHONE
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   3360 Jul 31 23:47 LC_TIME

For that warning message there is never a leading forward slash, that’s normal.

They are now, anyway. When that warning appears, that means the specified folders / files were previously installed, but were not found while updating the package that owns them. The files will be installed regardless.

Perhaps you removed locale files for languages you do not use? I seem to remember doing something that once a long time ago.

Hmm, interesting. Since glibc is a base package it is kinda hard to hold that update back. Maybe post more about that issue and if upstream is tracking that one 

I got a lot of copies of this when updating:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_ADDRESS = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_NAME = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_MONETARY = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_PAPER = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_IDENTIFICATION = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_TELEPHONE = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_MEASUREMENT = "de_DE.UTF-8",
        LC_TIME = "en_GB.UTF-8",
        LC_NUMERIC = "en_GB.UTF-8",
        LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

And after a reboot, I get issues like this:

(process:6227): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:31:48.961: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
OK
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Elsewhere, I found this, to be put into .profile:

export LC_ALL=C; unset LANGUAGE

But I think that’s just a workaround for the fallback, not a fix and not for the main method.

You may want to read the 2022-06-12 troubleshoot note in the second post @Fabian

It’s BACK ! A few updates ago (June) my wine game stop working. Half way through the intro, it got stuck on a black screen. That was not a wine problem as I downgrade it. This new update has finally fix it. Both my Nvidia (GT750TI) and AMD (RX570) based computer had the problem at the same time. It is not a “driver” issue apparently nor wine, so I don’t know but that’s good again. Tx

I’m not sure it’s related to the update, but I didn’t edited nor changed anything else.
Upon reboot the system, LightDM didn’t start with message « Failed to start Light Display Manager».
I solved with this solution.

1 Like

After the update Plymouth is flickering: Plymouth flicker on Linux 5.19

Temporary workaround for now is to use the flatpak version of steam:

sudo pacman -S flatpak --needed --noconfirm
sudo flatpak install com.valvesoftware.Steam -y

You can use flatseal (another flatpak app) to grant it access to your existing game library so you don’t have to re-download your games (add the game library install path under “Other files” under “Filesystem”).

sudo flatpak install com.github.tchx84.Flatseal -y

FYI to @philm and advanced users: patched glibc and lib32-glibc are available here. They remove the commit that broke EAC.

A post was split to a new topic: CommonIncludes.hpp exists in both libuinputplus and libevdevplus

After applying the update & rebooting I get a white screen saying "“uh oh, something went wrong, the system cant recover” :scream:
I do have a timeshift, but not sure how to revert if I cant boot. I do have a USB somewhere

OK, managed to fix it :sweat_smile: booted to tty & ran full update again. it was already downloaded, but a bunch of things had been skipped. after a reboot back to normal.

2 Likes

Ah, nice. :expressionless:

Suspend is broken on my laptop again. This is like the third time an update did this (while staying on the LTS kernel 5.15.x series).

Something’s going on with upstream kernel development. I’ve experience three or four issues while on 5.15.x that break suspends and/or reboots.

What makes me resistant to troubleshoot this (again) is that the previous times all my troubleshooting efforts were in vain, since it was a matter of waiting for the regression to be fixed by the upstream kernel developers.

2 Likes

i have the weird scratching sound again. i had the same problem with the RC of kernel 5.19, so i went back to 5.17
it appears sometimes when i start a video/music/etc after i do not play any sounds for a while. i cannot even mute it. i scratches for a few sec and then its gone as long as sounds playing

i have an RX580 and i use HDMI for soundoutput