Author Topic: may not really be a newbie question but... using deb packages in Manjaro?  (Read 575 times)

Offline fraterchaosTopic starter

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Kernel: 3.12.9-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit) / 3.13.6-2-MANJARO x86_64
  • Desktop: xfce / custom standalone Compiz/Emerald
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia geForce 7300
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Intermediate
Back when I used Ubuntu, I found a program called Remastersys which allowed you to backup your entire system (including installed software and all your tweaks) to a LiveCD or DVD, which could then be used to reinstall in case of a system crash.

I was wondering if there is anything similar for Manjaro, or if it would be possible to use the debian Remastersys on Manjaro?

I have the .deb package and even found a program in the repos to change the .deb into a tar.gz... but Manjaro still doesn't recognize this (when using install local package on octopi) because it's not a tar.xz and I can't find a utility to convert a tar.gz to tar.xz

So, is there a way to install a tar.gz? or can I install dpkg and use it to install debian packages (the description says "do not use this instead of pacman", so I wasn't sure if it would be smart to install it)

Preferably, I would much prefer an actual Manjaro program that does the same thing as Remastesys, but if Remastersys would be safe to install and would work, I would use it...

Don't know if anyone out there has tried any of this or would know the answers, but since I sometimes do silly things (like installing Compiz 0.8 and all it's unstable plug-ins) a way to back up the system to a liveDVD BEFORE installing anything questionable would be a nice option.

So the questions are these:

Is there a program like Remastersys specifically for Manjaro or Arch?

can I use deb packages and what's the best way to install them (not having to use too much CLI would be nice)

would Remastersys even work in Manjaro?

thanks!

Offline mandog

• Held Mitglied
  • Kernel: linux86-x64
  • Desktop: openbox
  • GPU Card: Nvidia gtx 440
A ENGLISHMAN IN PERU

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.
I modify some conky for use in conky-manager for Manjaro I don't post the scripts as most I have tried do not work, I email them in a zip with instructions

• Sr. Mitglied
cool, I think that mostly answers my question...

one follow up though, it appears from the wiki that any packages I might have installed myself would need to be added to the correct config file, do I have that right? For instance, I would want wine included in the installer (and perhaps a few other things not normally iincluded in the regular Manjaro LiveCD, so I would then need to add Wine and any other packages to the list before building it right?

Offline Arup

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Kernel: 3.13
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: no
  • Skill: Advanced
Why not use Clonezilla, its frequently updated and works well. Also Remastersys got hacked a while back and its no longer recommended to use it.

• Sr. Mitglied
well, I never heard of clonezilla before is why...

I'll have to look into that
thanks for the tip

• Sr. Mitglied
now that I looked at it, I don't know if clonezilla is really what I would need...

it seems clonezilla only clones entire partitions or entire Hard Drives... that's never going to fit on a CD or DVD and they don't have multi-part in it yet to allow you to burn the image to multiple DVDs...

If there was some way to tell clonezilla to only save the information you need, then it would be great, and it also isn't going to let me clone two partitions into one ISO unless I clone the entire HD... (my root and home are on separate partitions on the same drive)

I suppose i could clone the whole drive to my other HD, but it's currently got Linux Mint on it, which I was planning to replace with ArchBang when I feel confident enough to try installing that, so using that HD just to store a backup image of the first HD doesn't really make a lot of sense, unless the image isn't too large (ie: too big for a DVD but not more than say 10 gigs or so, the primary HD, the one I want to backup, is like a 240 gig and the secondary is like a 320... but I'm not sure how large the resulting file is going to be if I clone the primary HD)

I wish the ManjaroISO program would simply read what you have installed, maybe give a list so you can remove anything you need to remove to make it fit a DVD, and go from there, instead of having to manually edit the config files (Remastersys seemed to do that, just backed up everything) but I don't imagine anyone is working on scripts to make ManjaroISO work that way

Offline Arup

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Kernel: 3.13
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: no
  • Skill: Advanced
Clonezilla automatically spans for multiple media if the image size is too big to fit on the selected media. I have three DVD backup via Clonezilla.

• Sr. Mitglied
oh, the page I found for it said it was not able to do that yet but they were working on it
perhaps the page is not quite up to date

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Old experiential pantheist/animist/gnostic...
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.13.9-1
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2-6 (custom setup: Worker based, Alsa, Auto-login, No windows/icons, tiny Ob menu...)
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660 Ti
There are also a number of GUI's available for the brilliant rsync. You may find that exploring them could give you a workable solution.
Forget about them, all they do is bring the world down. Ignore them & you are bringing the world up, just by ignoring them.  ;D

A species of conscience, or an evolutionary mishap?

The Forum Rules

Online mips

• Support Team
  • Valkyrja
  • Kernel: 3.13.5-1 x86/x64
  • Desktop: Openbox
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: Intel 915GM/GMS.910GML & GT610
  • GPU driver: video-intel & video-nvidia
There are also a number of GUI's available for the brilliant rsync. You may find that exploring them could give you a workable solution.

This looks really interesting...
https://github.com/tritonas00/system-tar-and-restore/blob/master/README.md#about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB5O_FQ65lo&hd=1
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156522&p=1
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/system-tar-and-restore/

Reading the thread it looks like you can boot from the created usb and restore but I could be wrong. If not then you should be able to restore from a normal livecd.

C'mon, somebody try it out and let us know!   
« Last Edit: 29. October 2013, 15:42:18 by mips »

• Sr. Mitglied
awesome, thanks for the links... I'll definitely check them out!