Author Topic: Manjaro Netbook Edition  (Read 20350 times)

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
  • Alias: Korrode
  • Kernel: linux310 x64
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX560Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Advanced
Manjaro Netbook Edition
« on: 05. October 2013, 15:36:20 »
Manjaro Netbook Edition

Architecture: i686 and x86_64 (i686 is recommended for most netbooks)
Current version: 0.8.9
Current quality: Release

Features:
  • Kernel: Netbook optimised Manjaro kernel (32bit i686 only, for Intel Atom only) with config based on that found in the kernel-netbook project. (A normal kernel remains installed for people on non-Atom hardware, in addition to the -netbook kernel.)
  • Desktop Environment: Lightweight Xfce implementation with the Xfwm4 window manager modified for small screen usage (xfwm4-titleless+ with default maximized patch) and DockBarX via a xfce4-panel plugin.
  • Flash Video: Older Adobe Flash 10.3 is provided (32bit i686 only), configured correctly for jolt-free 360p fullscreen Flash video playback on Intel GMA GPUs commonly found in netbooks. (This is the only solution for any kind of smooth full screen Flash video playback (even then; 360p max) on Linux on most Intel GMA based netbooks, which is still most netbooks out there.)

Installation Instructions:

Download the live ISO image:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/community/Netbook/2014.02/
(i686 recommended for most netbooks)

Write the image to a CD/DVD, or more likely; Since most netbooks don't have optical drives you'll want to write it to a USB flash drive.
http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Burn_an_ISO_File#Writing_to_a_USB_Stick_in_Linux
Code: [Select]
dd if=manjaro-netbook-0.8.9-i686.iso of=/dev/sdX
Note that during the live-CD/USB experience you are not running the -netbook optimised kernel, it's only available once installed to the system.

Remember that to be able to hibernate reliably, during installation you should ensure a swap partition is created that is at least 1.25 times your RAM.

Known bugs:
  • DockBarX plugin doesn't show tooltip for unopened apps until they've been opened once.
  • If you have any problems with hibernating on the -netbook kernel, try reinstalling it with: pacman -S linux312-netbook

Considerations for NON-Intel Atom users:

This spin has some Intel Atom specific features, as Atom-based netbooks remain by-far the most common netbooks in the world.
  • The -netbook kernel probably won't work for you, however the standard installation includes a standard kernel (in addition to the -netbook one) and you can install any of Manjaro's provided kernels.
  • The flashplugin-netbook package is probably pointless for anyone not on Intel GMA graphics, you can install the normal flashplugin instead with pacman -S flashplugin.

Tips / Miscellaneous:

The 'application launcher' looking icons near the top of the panel are actually a DockBarX instance being rendered to the xfce4-panel through a plugin. DockBarX operates similar to Plank, Unity, Windows 7/8 panel, etc. providing icons that are launchers unless an app is already running, in which case they focus and raise the existing instance. New instances of applications can be launched by shift+clicking the icon or by right-clicking the icon and selecting 'Launch application'.

The Window Manager operates in an always-maximized fashion. Any launched apps (with the exception of dialog windows) are undecorated and maximized by default. They can be tiled (and thus floated) using Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow, with Alt+DownArrow maximizing the window again, however, remember that the provided file manager, web browser and terminal all support tabs, with new tabs being openable via either Ctrl+T (pcmanfm, midori) or Ctrl+Shift+T (lxterminal).

The idea is to encourage through the environment the usage of tabs (which can use much less memory than multiple application instances, important on low RAM netbooks) in apps that support them, and re-using apps until a second instance is explicitly required or at least significantly more useful.

Windows put in tiled mode (or that start floating) can be resized with Alt+RightClick and moved with Alt+LeftClick. (Keep this in mind when a window is too tall to fit on our little netbook displays)

A customised version of the 0.9.x series of the Compiz window manager is available for the Netbook edition, it can be installed with sudo pacman -S compiz-manjaro-netbook and then reboot.

When playing Flash videos on Youtube change the quality setting for the video from "Auto (360p)" (which swaps to 480p when fullscreened) to just "360p", making it stay at 360p when fullscreen.

Source packages:
>> Here <<

Just want the linux-netbook or flashplugin-netbook binary packages?:
>> Here <<
« Last Edit: 29. March 2014, 23:44:09 by Rob »
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test

I run: Arch, Manjaro, Debian, openSUSE.

Offline excalibur1234

• Held Mitglied
  • Kernel: 3.13
  • Desktop: xfce 64bit
  • Branch: testing
  • GPU driver: nvidia non-free
  • Skill: Novice
Re: Manjaro Netbook Edition
« Reply #1 on: 05. October 2013, 17:04:12 »
i do not own a netbook, but i am sure that arch/manjaro fans with netbooks will enjoy this very much!

do you plan to make it available on the community editions download page once you feel it is stable enough?  http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/community/

Offline Arup

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: no
« Reply #2 on: 05. October 2013, 17:07:21 »
This is cool, will try it out on my ASUS AMD C50 netbook. Even the stock Manjaro can be optimized with TLP and Intel Thermal Daemon to get good performance out of Intel CPU laptops.

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
« Reply #3 on: 05. October 2013, 17:14:00 »
do you plan to make it available on the community editions download page once you feel it is stable enough?  http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/community/
Yep, so long as people seem to like it. :)

I'll get a fair bit of feedback first (and continue using it myself on my netbook) before that though. First I need to see if the 'always-maximized' WM model really pans out or not. There's other options if it doesn't, Awesome is highly configurable (and even then, i'm not explicitly tied to Awesome either).

This is cool, will try it out on my ASUS AMD C50 netbook. Even the stock Manjaro can be optimized with TLP and Intel Thermal Daemon to get good performance out of Intel CPU laptops.
Great. Remember the -netbook optimised kernel it provides won't work because it's Intel Atom specific, but the standard installation includes keeping the standard 3.10.x kernel installed as well, and you can install the standard 3.11.x kernel simply via pacman -S linux311.
Also, using the flashplugin-netbook package is almost certainly pointless on an AMD C50 based system. You can go back to the normal flash plugin simply with pacman -S flashplugin
« Last Edit: 05. October 2013, 17:16:00 by Korrode »
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test

Offline Arup

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: nvidia
  • GPU driver: no
« Reply #4 on: 05. October 2013, 17:15:48 »
Thanks for the heads up Korrode.

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
« Reply #5 on: 05. October 2013, 18:14:15 »
Thanks for the heads up Korrode.

No probs.

I just added a section "Considerations for NON-Intel Atom users" to the first post.
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test

Offline Kolibry

• Sr. Mitglied
  • Kernel: Linux manjaro 3.10.27-1
  • Desktop: Openbox/xfce
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU driver: free
« Reply #6 on: 05. October 2013, 18:46:24 »
I wanted to try the kernel netbbok, also interested for fullscreen videos in my netbook. I will definitelygive it a try, thanks for sharing :) !
Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290
 ArchLinux Openbox - Manjaro Linux Xfce/Openbox

Offline Ayceman

• Support Team
  • Kernel: linux312/linux314 (64)
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: GTX780/HD3000
  • GPU driver: non-free-nVidia/Intel
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #7 on: 05. October 2013, 20:34:08 »
You're missing a text editor - leafpad has the fewest dependencies

I'd recommend adding nitrogen to be able to change backgrounds - also since installing nitrogen doesn't add a launcher, I have one uploaded in the attachments. (just add it to /usr/share/applications)

Offline Kolibry

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #8 on: 05. October 2013, 20:43:43 »
Unfortunately I was not able to start the session .At the promt, when "startx", it tries to load but brings me bakc to the prompt telling me X closed successfully.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
« Reply #9 on: 05. October 2013, 20:57:56 »
Unfortunately I was not able to start the session .At the promt, when "startx", it tries to load but brings me bakc to the prompt telling me X closed successfully.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Did you run the commands in the codebox? Not just finished the Manjaro-Net install but didn't run the Manjaro-Netbook install script?

You shouldn't have to type startx (or need anything configured in .xinitrc). If you ran the installation script LXDM should be set to load. The manjaro-netbook package's installation script does it.

Are you sure you followed the instructions exactly?

Installation Instructions:

Perform a Manjaro-Net 0.8.7.1 i686 install.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/manjarolinux/manjaro-net-0.8.7.1-i686.iso
http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Burn_an_ISO_File#Writing_to_a_USB_Stick_in_Linux

During the install, when asked if your user account is to have sudo rights, say yes.

Once the install is finished login with your user account (NOT as root) and run the following commands:
Code: [Select]
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/manjaro-netbook-install.sh
chmod 755 manjaro-netbook-install.sh
./manjaro-netbook-install.sh

You will need to enter your password a couple of times during installation.
Once the installation script is finished you just need to reboot. Be sure to select the -netbook kernel from the Grub menu if you're on Intel Atom based netbook hardware, otherwise select the normal kernel.

I've done this whole process like 10 times today on hardware that is extremely similar to your Samsung N150, it should work.

Did you leave the computer for a while when the install script was running? I'm just wondering if it was waiting for a password (sudo) at some stage and errored out after not getting one for a while. (I'm going to fix it so it only asks for password once at the start tomorrow.)

You can try again by just running the commands in the codebox again.
« Last Edit: 05. October 2013, 21:19:44 by Korrode »
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test

Offline Kolibry

• Sr. Mitglied
« Reply #10 on: 05. October 2013, 21:16:10 »
Ok, maybe I understood wrong. I thought it was live iso, so it can be tested on a USB key without installation. So I will try installing.

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
« Reply #11 on: 05. October 2013, 21:17:38 »
Ok, maybe I understood wrong. I thought it was live iso, so it can be tested on a USB key without installation. So I will try installing.
Yeah, I'll hopefully get a live ISO up within the next couple of days.
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
« Reply #12 on: 06. October 2013, 18:15:43 »
-----------------------------------------------------
Live ISO image now available!
See first post.
-----------------------------------------------------

You're missing a text editor - leafpad has the fewest dependencies
Geany was installed but for some reason wasn't set to open plain text files, it's resolved now, thanks.

/usr/share/applications
~/.local/share/applications* ;)
« Last Edit: 06. October 2013, 18:32:37 by Korrode »
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test

Offline vanlong441

• Artwork Team
« Reply #13 on: 06. October 2013, 18:46:51 »
make sure you have cpupower set as ondemand, turn off usb-autosuspend if you have laptop-mode-tools installed.

Offline RobTopic starter

• Core Team
« Reply #14 on: 06. October 2013, 18:52:58 »
make sure you have cpupower set as ondemand
The provided -netbook kernel uses ondemand profile as default.

turn off usb-autosuspend if you have laptop-mode-tools installed.
EDIT: laptop-mode-tools are installed by default. You've found usb-autosuspend causes problems?
« Last Edit: 06. October 2013, 18:56:01 by Korrode »
manjaro-netbook
compiz-xfce
compiz09-manjaro-test