Author Topic: unable to install manjaro in virtualbox or locally  (Read 471 times)

Offline rdesfoTopic starter

• Neuling
  • Kernel: linux312
  • Desktop: kde-xmonad
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: ati
  • GPU driver: free
  • Skill: Intermediate
unable to install manjaro in virtualbox or locally
« on: 26. July 2013, 13:57:05 »
Hello,

I'm able to boot into manjaro via virtualbox, but when I go to install it it always freezes on 'setting keyboard options.'  I left a message on the following forum page regarding this <http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=5248.msg51006#msg51006>.

When I try to boot into the Manjaro locally, with the iso on a usb thumb dirve, my keyboard is incorrect (default kernel).  Even when I use F2 on the boot screen and select 'US english'.

I'm able to get the correct keyboard layout if I boot into 'Safe Mode' or 'No ACPI'.  However, none of the kernel options allow x server to start.

$ mhwd -a pci free 0300

Skipping already installed config 'video-intel' for device: 000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0046) Display controller Intel Corporation Arrandae Integrated Graphics Controller
Skipping already installed config 'video-ati' for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:1002:68e0) Display controller ATI Technology Inc

$ mhwd-gpu --status
:: status
   lib32-libGl:'/usr/lib32/mesa-libGL.so.1.2.0'
   libGl: '/usr/lib/mesa-libGL.so.1.2.0'
   libglx: '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.xorg'
   xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/ati.conf'

My system is an ASUS-B43J
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU       M 560  @ 2.67GHz × 4
Graphics:   Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
                 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]

Any suggestions on how to resolve these issues would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Old experiential pantheist/animist/gnostic...
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.13.9-1
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2-6 (custom setup: Worker based, Alsa, Auto-login, No windows/icons, tiny Ob menu...)
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660 Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
Re: unable to install manjaro in virtualbox or locally
« Reply #1 on: 26. July 2013, 14:38:03 »
Welcome to Manjaro rdesfo. :)

I deleted the previous message that you posted in the other thread. It is best not to post the same problem in more than one thread, as you can get replies happening in two places which is far from the optimal way to solve the problem & it can get messy. Also, as hard as it can be sometimes it is best not to bump a post more than once in 24hrs.

With that lot said, hang in there, someone should come along who will offer you some assistance, hopefully before too much longer. :)
Forget about them, all they do is bring the world down. Ignore them & you are bringing the world up, just by ignoring them.  ;D

A species of conscience, or an evolutionary mishap?

The Forum Rules

Offline rdesfoTopic starter

• Neuling
  • Kernel: linux312
  • Desktop: kde-xmonad
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: ati
  • GPU driver: free
« Reply #2 on: 05. August 2013, 22:59:21 »
Not sure what was going on with virtualbox, but I was able to install manjaro locally on my laptop.

The was able to solve the black screen by removing the video-ati driver.

Code: [Select]
sudo mhwd -r pci video-ati

The problem with the keyboard was solved by going into setting and selecting 'ASUS Laptop' and reselecting 'US Keyboard'

« Last Edit: 05. August 2013, 23:03:36 by rdesfo »

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
  • Dutch People look @ manjaro.be or manjaro.nl :)
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Kernel: linux310 linux313
  • Desktop: I3-Openbox/xfce
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: non-free
« Reply #3 on: 06. August 2013, 22:31:55 »
welcome, and have talent too :)

good to have you here :)

[irc] www.manjaro.be/irc  #manjaro #manjaro-nl #manjaro-ru #manjaro-es #linuxpark  #manjaro-de #manjaro-fr offtopic #manjaro-talk