Author Topic: Cannot configure Keyboard after new installation.  (Read 713 times)

Offline andyinmokumTopic starter

• Neuling
  • Kernel: linux38x86
  • Desktop: OpenBox
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: ....
  • Skill: Novice
Cannot configure Keyboard after new installation.
« on: 01. June 2013, 10:11:22 »
Greeting from The Netherlands.  I have a question as a newbie.  I cannot configure my keyboard. My question is how do I do this? My computer is a Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Li 3710 with an Intel Pentium Dual Core Procesor T4200 : 2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB. I have it set up as a dual boot system with Linux Mint 15 and Manjaro Linux. The installation was straightforward and very easy.  However, after booting up Manjero for the first time, I found that the keyboard was not configured to any known language. In the setup I selected British English as the default and my Fujitsu Siemens laptop keyboard. I even reinstalled Manjaro just in case I made a mistake. Alas, it remains Martian. I have tried to change it in System Settings/Keyboard and that made no difference. If anyone has experienced this or something similar and has a solution, please let me know. Please note that I am very much a newbie so talk me through the process as if you're speaking to an idiot is fine with me  ;D. I just want this OS up and running. If this is a common issue, it will put new and inexperienced users off from using this OS before they've used it. That would be an awful shame as, it looks fantastic. Many thanks.
"Keep on Rock'n in the Free World"

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
  • Dutch People look @ manjaro.be or manjaro.nl :)
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Kernel: linux310 linux313
  • Desktop: I3-Openbox/xfce
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Cannot configure Keyboard after new installation.
« Reply #1 on: 01. June 2013, 10:34:09 »
hi welcome !

i am ringo from belgium but i am also an dutchie :D

Well if you pick the iso normal you should select in the Gfx_boot from start of the iso with F2 the language Dutch for me is Dutch (belgie)..

then is the system normal pre-configured on that.!

but you can go to the settings, and open up Manjaro-settings-manager , and you can pick there your language and keyboard.

on Manjaro.be / manjaro.nl you are also Welcome irc: freenode #manjaro.bnl

:)

[irc] www.manjaro.be/irc  #manjaro #manjaro-nl #manjaro-ru #manjaro-es #linuxpark  #manjaro-de #manjaro-fr offtopic #manjaro-talk

• Neuling
« Reply #2 on: 01. June 2013, 12:11:29 »
hi welcome !

i am ringo from belgium but i am also an dutchie :D

Well if you pick the iso normal you should select in the Gfx_boot from start of the iso with F2 the language Dutch for me is Dutch (belgie)..

then is the system normal pre-configured on that.!

but you can go to the settings, and open up Manjaro-settings-manager , and you can pick there your language and keyboard.

on Manjaro.be / manjaro.nl you are also Welcome irc: freenode #manjaro.bnl

:)

Hi Ringo, I'm actually English. Many thanks for the swift reply. I've tried everything that you have suggested and even reinstalled again. Still there is no change. This time I used F2 and selected British English and completed to install. Strangely, entering the login password, (that contained one of the problem characters; 0 becomes /) was no problem. When I entered to WiFi connection code the 0 showed as a / and all the other letters and numbers were all over the place. Again checked the keyboard settings and they were all for British English.  It really beats me what the problem is. It is really frustrating.

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
« Reply #3 on: 01. June 2013, 12:37:34 »
is it an dutch keyboard or english keyboard?

[irc] www.manjaro.be/irc  #manjaro #manjaro-nl #manjaro-ru #manjaro-es #linuxpark  #manjaro-de #manjaro-fr offtopic #manjaro-talk

Verändert

« Reply #4 on: 01. June 2013, 13:08:37 »
Please try

Code: [Select]
setxkbmap -layout
and report any error messages.

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
« Reply #5 on: 01. June 2013, 13:15:49 »
you can use this also

[ringo@manjaro ~]$ keyboardctl
keyboardctl [OPTION] [...]

-h --help              show help
 -s --setup             load console keyboard layout and set X11 layout
 -l --set-layout [Opt.:MODEL] [LAYOUT] [Opt.:VARIANT] set keyboard layout

and look if its enabled in the systemd!

sudo systemctl list-unit-files | grep keyboardctl

i think you have it, its a manjaro development otherwise installl it with sudo pacman -S keyboardctl

if enabled in systemd with sudo systemctl enable keyboardctl  afterboot is enabled

en the setting for that counts also for whole system..

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 01. June 2013, 16:07:46 »
you can use this also

[ringo@manjaro ~]$ keyboardctl
keyboardctl [OPTION] [...]

-h --help              show help
 -s --setup             load console keyboard layout and set X11 layout
 -l --set-layout [Opt.:MODEL] [LAYOUT] [Opt.:VARIANT] set keyboard layout

and look if its enabled in the systemd!

sudo systemctl list-unit-files | grep keyboardctl

i think you have it, its a manjaro development otherwise installl it with sudo pacman -S keyboardctl

if enabled in systemd with sudo systemctl enable keyboardctl  afterboot is enabled

en the setting for that counts also for whole system..

Again, thank you Ringo. I tried this and nothing.  I then thought to see if I have the same problem in xfce. The short answer is yes but I did manage to get it to work for about 3 minutes. It then reverted back to original mess. I think I'm going to leave it at that. I may come back when the distro is less buggy. Good luck.

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
« Reply #7 on: 01. June 2013, 16:13:43 »
this hasnt to do with buggy.. us keyboard and dutch doesnt differs a much i dont know english keyboard....

so you are english and live in amsterdam, if the keyboard type is dutch and english differs you choose english i dont know exactly but will take te english settings,

in manjaro manjaro-settings-manager has load of config of anytype configuration anyway.

so is you laptop english or Dutch? keyboard from english also differs and has load also different type of keyboard i dont know in manjaro-settings-manager you have te choice reely...dont have to use the terminal.

better is give a feedback also on type of your keyboard is it and english type or dutch?

• Neuling
« Reply #8 on: 01. June 2013, 16:25:27 »
this hasnt to do with buggy.. us keyboard and dutch doesnt differs a much i dont know english keyboard....

so you are english and live in amsterdam, if the keyboard type is dutch and english differs you choose english i dont know exactly but will take te english settings,

in manjaro manjaro-settings-manager has load of config of anytype configuration anyway.

so is you laptop english or Dutch? keyboard from english also differs and has load also different type of keyboard i dont know in manjaro-settings-manager you have te choice reely...dont have to use the terminal.

better is give a feedback also on type of your keyboard is it and english type or dutch?

Hi again, its a Dutch keyboard.

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
« Reply #9 on: 01. June 2013, 17:30:48 »
normal should this like for your keyboard.

if you take English in live usb it mostly take the english layout also...

if you see the screen in keyboard settings in manjari-settings-manager, you see a option which keyboard type you take so an amila is also avaible as option so pick that..
and take dutch one.

that would be te easiest way... dont have a laptop also english between dutch have little difference not much but 0 as / is for me strange as wel... because i looked in all examples that should not change..
hopefully will do, keyboardctl what i gave is an command from terminal you have to deal that but commands is also take the right one... manjaro-settings should do,

you did this also what you see on picture?

• Neuling
« Reply #10 on: 01. June 2013, 18:41:20 »
normal should this like for your keyboard.

if you take English in live usb it mostly take the english layout also...

if you see the screen in keyboard settings in manjari-settings-manager, you see a option which keyboard type you take so an amila is also avaible as option so pick that..
and take dutch one.

that would be te easiest way... dont have a laptop also english between dutch have little difference not much but 0 as / is for me strange as wel... because i looked in all examples that should not change..
hopefully will do, keyboardctl what i gave is an command from terminal you have to deal that but commands is also take the right one... manjaro-settings should do,

you did this also what you see on picture?

I think it must be a German configuration because there is a ß on the S key and an awfull lot of Umlauts. Sorry, it is a second hand computer that I just set the keyboard to English and type. I don't often look at it.

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
« Reply #11 on: 01. June 2013, 18:49:14 »
thats why i dont take a laptop :) my keyboard get stuck on  some times :)

well, my keyboard stays always smootly but my wive and children  take the keyboard hard, so it broke :)

well, this is hell of a configuration, so you have an german keyboard you say? dont know the difference of all, english vs dutch differs a bit, german i dont know in which way, english dutch german uses qwerty while me in belgium use azerty ...

is always difficult if you have some mixture , you english and keyboard is german.. thats for me confusing sorry, on manjaro-settings-manager you can test it out for sure

there under you can do an test typing so you see how you keyboard react. if it works what you like then is all ok.

• Neuling
« Reply #12 on: 01. June 2013, 19:08:19 »
I think it must be a German configuration because there is a ß on the S key and an awfull lot of Umlauts. Sorry, it is a second hand computer that I just set the keyboard to English and type. I don't often look at it.

I have been entering the newly installed OS and navigating to settings/keyboards and set British English to the top of the priority lists even for the login enty. I cannot find the path to :Manjaro-settings-manager. How do I find this? Many thanks again.

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
« Reply #13 on: 01. June 2013, 19:26:36 »
i gues you using XFCE latest, so look in the Settings !  in your menu you see Manjaro Settings Manager !

for openbox isnt clear yet you are beable to find it in the menu for sure...

• Neuling
« Reply #14 on: 01. June 2013, 20:18:28 »
thats why i dont take a laptop :) my keyboard get stuck on  some times :)

well, my keyboard stays always smootly but my wive and children  take the keyboard hard, so it broke :)

well, this is hell of a configuration, so you have an german keyboard you say? dont know the difference of all, english vs dutch differs a bit, german i dont know in which way, english dutch german uses qwerty while me in belgium use azerty ...

is always difficult if you have some mixture , you english and keyboard is german.. thats for me confusing sorry, on manjaro-settings-manager you can test it out for sure

there under you can do an test typing so you see how you keyboard react. if it works what you like then is all ok.

I've been going though all the latin based keyboards in the Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Notebook list and it is not a German or an Austrian one. The closest so far is one of the Scandinavian countries. I had to stop the search because I went for dinner and the Manjaro default screen saver came one and I can't type "manjaro" to unlock it. This is driving me crazy.