Author Topic: Manjaro's live cd works flawlessly - however installed system does not  (Read 721 times)

Offline toudiTopic starter

• Neuling
  • Kernel: linux38-x64
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: intel
  • GPU driver: intel
Hello. I have a big problem with my hardware. The only system which seems to be working is windows 7. Here's what's happening. I launch manjaro's live-cd and everything works flawlessly, out of the box. After the install, i am able to boot manjaro only one out of 10-11 times. By this i mean, that during the other times i can see the hard drive spinning, i can see manjaro's initial messages (logo, green 'OK' and so on) and then, after few seconds, the image crashes into small line on top of monitor.

The only way i'm able to boot into manjaro is when i type 'nomodeset' after the 'linux' line in grub, but that's obviously not the solution, as without it, intel's driver won't initialize.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core-i5 3570, with included graphic card.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3

The same problem persists on other distros as well. The only system that seems not to be affected is windows, as each time i boot it, the image doesn't dissapear.

I have recovered few logs out of the machine, which i'm attaching. if there is any way i can help, please let me know

Offline ruziel

• Global Moderator
  • Everything is returning.
    • Coffee & Manjaro
  • Kernel: 3.12 + 3.10
  • Desktop: XFCE 64Bit on a ThinkPad W530
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: nVidia Quadro K1000M
  • GPU driver: Non-free
  • Skill: Novice
Toudi, welcome! Unfortunately this one is beyond my current knowledge, so hang in there & I am sure people will drop in to give you some assistance. We'll collectively get this sorted. Go well meantime, Ruziel.
"If one can only see things according to one's own belief system, one is destined to become virtually deaf, dumb, and blind." (Robert Anton Wilson)

Offline StealthPenguin

• Sr. Mitglied
  • When the student is ready, the master appears.
  • Kernel: 3.10 x86_64
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: AMD HD4350
  • GPU driver: Free
  • Skill: Intermediate
Did you check for new BIOS/Firmware update for the Motherboard?

• Neuling
unfortunetely it's the latest one. i'm installing opensuse just now to confirm whether it's motherboard-oriented issue, or just kernel one.

edit: yep, it's true :( opensuse works so i can confirm it's a kernel related issue. it's using linux 3.7.10. Are there any details i can provide in order to help?
« Last Edit: 13. May 2013, 13:04:22 by toudi »

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Old experiential pantheist/animist/gnostic...
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.13.9-1
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2-6 (custom setup: Worker based, Alsa, Auto-login, No windows/icons, tiny Ob menu...)
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660 Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
You could try installing a later version of the kernel:

http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Manjaro_Kernels
Forget about them, all they do is bring the world down. Ignore them & you are bringing the world up, just by ignoring them.  ;D

A species of conscience, or an evolutionary mishap?

The Forum Rules

• Neuling
so boot normally via nomodeset and then install the different kernel?

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Old experiential pantheist/animist/gnostic...
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.13.9-1
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2-6 (custom setup: Worker based, Alsa, Auto-login, No windows/icons, tiny Ob menu...)
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660 Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
Yes, if that is what you have to do.
Forget about them, all they do is bring the world down. Ignore them & you are bringing the world up, just by ignoring them.  ;D

A species of conscience, or an evolutionary mishap?

The Forum Rules

• Neuling
hmm a small update. it seems that in trhe meanwhile, there was a new release of manjaro (0.8.5.2), which doesn't work in terms of live-cd. i tried to put 'nomodeset' into 'start options' as well as selecting 'failsafe' (f4) but it didn't help. i'll try to retrieve 0.8.5.1, because it was working.