Author Topic: wifi adapter D-LINK DWA-131 rev. B1 working  (Read 3277 times)

Offline oriolfaTopic starter

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
  • Desktop: Openbox
  • Branch: testing
  • GPU Card: nVidia Radeon
  • Skill: Novice
wifi adapter D-LINK DWA-131 rev. B1 working
« on: 15. April 2013, 09:41:14 »
Hi everyone.

I bought a D-LINK Nano USB last friday and I expected to plug-in and start surfing...  ::) Instead, I've spent most of the weekend just to get it work, and found many info out there, so I want to share how I get it working in manjaro openbox. Must tell you I had never done a modprobe before, so maybe this instructions are obvious for some of you, but anyway...

The device is knowed as D-LINK DWA-131 rev B.1, using firmware 2.00, and it use the realtek chipset and the RTL8192CU driver

So, first we must have the driver loaded:

Code: [Select]
sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
After that, a
modinfo rtl8192cu should show you info about the driver.

At the moment of writting this, the D-LINK DWA-131 rev.B1 is not in the list of supported devices of the driver, so we must add it manually. To do so, we must know which vendor ID and product ID. As it's a usb device just type:
lsusb
That will show you something like "Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2001:330D D-Link System DWA-131". In this case 2001 is the vendor ID and 330D is the product ID,

And then, to add the product to the driver
echo "2001 330D" | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rtl8192cu/new_id
    After that line in the terminal, the blue led of the nano USB device should turn on, and we should be able to use it with nm-applet.

To make this permanent on our system, we must:
    • Put the rtl8192cu module in the list of loaded modules. Just add "rtl8192cu" in /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf
    • add the following command to /etc/rtc.local:
echo "2001 330D" | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rtl8192cu/new_id

This done the job for me, but the connection was not all the stable it should, so I upgrade my kernel to 3.9 and now it's more reliable. Hopefully in the near future all this stuff not will be necessary
    « Last Edit: 15. April 2013, 09:48:08 by oriolfa »

Offline ArcNexus

• Neuling
      • Maya GNU Software
    Re: wifi adapter D-LINK DWA-131 rev. B1 working
    « Reply #1 on: 04. April 2014, 23:37:49 »
    Sorry, excellent howto. But, in last step is /etc/rc.local:  not /etc/rtc.local:  :P