Author Topic: KDE tips and tricks  (Read 4301 times)

Offline vanlong441Topic starter

• Artwork Team
  • Skill: Novice
KDE tips and tricks
« on: 23. December 2012, 19:20:27 »
Customize KDE appearance

Fix unreadable tooltips: System Settings > Application appearance > Colors > Colors > Color set > Tooltip > change Normal Background and Normal Text colors.

Disable blue shadow under active windows: System settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations > Configure Decoration > Shadows > disable Active Window Glow

Customizable clock and icon-only taskmanager: install kdeplasma-applets-adjustable-clock and kdeplasma-applets-icontasks then add them to a panel

Code: [Select]
sudo yaourt -S kdeplasma-applets-adjustable-clock
sudo pacman -S kdeplasma-addons-applets-icontasks

Enable hidden effects

By enabling the according effects in System Settings > Desktop Effects > All Effects, these below hidden effects will be activated.

A note about Present Window effect: beside assigning the effect to corners and edges by going to System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Screen Edges, this can also be used as Window Scaling effect as in Unity when clicking on grouped tasks in the task manager. This requires the icon-only taskmanager above installed. After adding it to a panel, right click on the area where the taskmanager is > Icon-Only Task Manager Settings > Behaviour > Group click action > Present Windows Effect.

Make KDE less resource hungry
(my KDE is now only 100MB RAM heavier than Xfce)

If you like this how-to, please verify that it is safe to use in your comment.
There are more tips and tricks to come.
This how-to is inspired by this post. My thanks go to its author.
Credits also go to [1] [2]

Step 1: Configure System Settings to disable animations, desktop search, and many desktop effects. After finishing this step, you will have already saved a lot of RAM and CPU.

In my case, OpenGL gives much better effect transitions. Changing it to XRender MIGHT be good for some graphics cards. Test it out yourself.

Step 2: disable more services to save more RAM.

edit ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc

[Basic Settings]
Start Nepomuk=false

[Service-nepomukfileindexer]
autostart=false

edit ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

ServerPath=/usr/bin/mysqld
StartServer=false

Step 3: as root, disable unwanted autostart applications by moving the startup files elsewhere. They can be found in two places

/usr/share/autostart/ and /etc/xdg/autostart/

For example, I created two backup folders and moved unwanted files there

/usr/share/autostart/backup/ and /etc/xdg/autostart/backup/

Relog.

« Last Edit: 24. December 2012, 10:01:53 by vanlong441 »

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
Re: KDE tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: 23. December 2012, 20:09:07 »
vanlong441,

Thanks for the "How To." I think that providing brief captions for each picture you deemed important enough to include would make this much easier to follow, though.

Have you looked at KDE in recent Slax 7.0 or LinuxBBQ releases? Just curious.
HOT TIP: For the fastest and most comprehensive response to your problem(s), please report issues properly! http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1327.0

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
  • Dutch People look @ manjaro.be or manjaro.nl :)
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Kernel: linux310 linux313
  • Desktop: I3-Openbox/xfce
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #2 on: 23. December 2012, 21:20:16 »
this should earn a place in a wiki or pin it down in forum :)

[irc] www.manjaro.be/irc  #manjaro #manjaro-nl #manjaro-ru #manjaro-es #linuxpark  #manjaro-de #manjaro-fr offtopic #manjaro-talk

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #3 on: 23. December 2012, 21:31:56 »
Serendipity, I guess. Sorry but, I can't help it. I was following breadcrumbs unrelated to vanlong441's post and had to post this from one of the "arch linux" entries at urban dictionary:  ;)

Archtard quandary:
(archtard) Can u suggest any services I can disable to optimizize my system some more? I want to get rid of some bloatware so KDE runs faster.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=arch%20linux

HOT TIP: For the fastest and most comprehensive response to your problem(s), please report issues properly! http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1327.0

verityproductions

« Reply #4 on: 23. December 2012, 21:35:19 »
Serendipity, I guess. Sorry but, I can't help it. I was following breadcrumbs unrelated to vanlong441's post and had to post this from one of the "arch linux" entries at urban dictionary:  ;)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=arch%20linux

I see that the author of the second "definition" doesn't seem to be a fan of archers - LOL

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #5 on: 23. December 2012, 22:28:39 »
Please use thumbnails next time. I edited your post.

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #6 on: 24. December 2012, 01:33:05 »
Please use thumbnails next time. I edited your post.
Other than using the means provided by some image hosting services, is there a way to format image links for large images so that they display in a post as thumbnails one must click to view full size?

Offline YFDogan

• Support Team
    • http://www.manjaro-tr.org/
  • Kernel: Linux manjaro 3.10.20-1-MANJARO
  • Desktop: KDE,ManjaroBox
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: Optimus (GeForce GT 540M)
  • GPU driver: Non-free
« Reply #7 on: 24. December 2012, 01:44:52 »
You can try www.imgur.com
I usually use this one.
Manjaro Linux with DELL Insipiron N5110 i7 8GB Ram, Nvidia-Optimus
http://manjaro-tr.org/forum/index.php

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #8 on: 24. December 2012, 01:57:30 »
Thanks YFDogan. But, I was curious whether there was SMF BBCode to force large images to be displayed a in smaller size. Sometimes there may be BBCode that will work but, not readily available in the GUI formatting controls.

• Artwork Team
« Reply #9 on: 24. December 2012, 03:27:49 »
added 4 tips.
thumbnails are now linked to bigger pictures.

Thank you for the suggestion guys.
« Last Edit: 24. December 2012, 03:40:26 by vanlong441 »

Offline Just4n

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #10 on: 24. December 2012, 03:33:01 »
You can try www.imgur.com
I usually use this one.

I might give this a try.
I tried using zimage first but that didn't work out too well, I was forced to search for another service.
I went to deviantart, but that didn't seem like the best idea, In the end I settled for http://beta.photobucket.com/
"Do or do not, there is no try."

Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of over-simplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.

Offline Just4n

• Vollwertiges Mitglied
« Reply #11 on: 24. December 2012, 04:04:43 »
I see that the author of the second "definition" doesn't seem to be a fan of archers - LOL

It's especially quite funny when you click the "archtard" link:

1.    Archtard    

"An Archtard is a person who has spontaneous orgasms when thinking about David Archuleta.
They dream of marrying David Archuleta, and their main argument is that 'you're all just jealous'."
====================================================
David Cook Fan: Season 7 was the last good season.

David Archuleta Fan: Nuh-uh! It was good until David Cook won!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY WONT HE SHAVE?????????

David Cook: Luls. Archtard.

David Archuleta Fan: JEALOUSY! RACISM MAYBE! UMMMMM........ JEALOUSY!!!!! F*CKY F*CKY F*CKISH F*CK SH*T!

David Cook Fan: You're cool.

David Archuleta Fan: Forserious?

DCF: No.

DAF: MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Do or do not, there is no try."

Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of over-simplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.

• Artwork Team
« Reply #12 on: 24. December 2012, 09:54:22 »
added how to enable hidden effects, assign them to screen corners/edges and mouse click.

vanlong441,

Thanks for the "How To." I think that providing brief captions for each picture you deemed important enough to include would make this much easier to follow, though.

Have you looked at KDE in recent Slax 7.0 or LinuxBBQ releases? Just curious.

No I haven't. This is the first time I've tried out KDE and all thanks go to the kindness of YFDogan. I also added a couple of notices where necessary.
« Last Edit: 24. December 2012, 09:59:19 by vanlong441 »

Offline mitcoes

• Jr. Mitglied
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: STABLE
  • GPU Card: ATI 4250
  • GPU driver: FREE - not other available -
I think this must be the Manjaro default settings ...
« Reply #13 on: 24. December 2012, 10:39:50 »
i think this must be Manjaro default settings and let the advanced effects to those who care about it and want to set up them.

Parmaster

« Reply #14 on: 24. December 2012, 11:28:13 »
Normally i thought i would be ready with KDE for this release, but i worked more than 12 hours per day the last four weeks, so i haven't time for it. I'm sorry.

But for the next release there will be a "new" KDE setting and another look & feel for KDE. I have just finished a new KDE Style for Manjaro, and a new bootsplash and login-screen will be follow.