Author Topic: [SOLVED] Manjaro-system upgrades: a little hint  (Read 1020 times)

Offline nierroTopic starter

• Neuling
[SOLVED] Manjaro-system upgrades: a little hint
« on: 22. December 2012, 16:30:54 »
Hi!
Don't know if this is correct, or may be i am missing something, but i see that manjaro-system got upgraded every 1-2 weeks (i guess, i do not remember).
What i don't understand is why my old 0.8.0 install is not updated with latest software in latest iso builds: i mean, for example, i had to install kalu manually, and previously i had to switch do lxdm from lightdm.
So, it should be better to have that package (manjaro-system), that i guess is related to full system upgrade, handling these problems too. So, even if i did not installed latest iso, i'll have the same software.
Or even better, may be put in pacman.conf a new rule to set this behaviour to true or false.
Otherwise, i don't understand what's the point of having such a package; may be you can explain me!:)
Thank you very much for your work, keep it up!
Bye!
« Last Edit: 23. December 2012, 20:37:29 by nierro »

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
  • Dutch People look @ manjaro.be or manjaro.nl :)
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Kernel: linux310 linux313
  • Desktop: I3-Openbox/xfce
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Manjaro-system upgrades: a little hint
« Reply #1 on: 22. December 2012, 17:08:32 »
0.80 is just your iso version; when you update your system, it would automatically into the latest version......an normal your system will ask to update? when a new repo comes??

[irc] www.manjaro.be/irc  #manjaro #manjaro-nl #manjaro-ru #manjaro-es #linuxpark  #manjaro-de #manjaro-fr offtopic #manjaro-talk

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • Skill: Guru
« Reply #2 on: 22. December 2012, 17:27:51 »
manjaro-system just handles file-conflicts. Never was designed to remove or install extra packages.
Every ISO-release is the current software collection we are thinking fit's best for basic usage. If you want to have new tools like kalu you can install it by your own. We don't force you guys to install kalu on older installations. Also we provide information when we choose new tools, like for kalu.

Why should we force to install and remove software packages? Isn't telling you guys enough?

Offline vanlong441

• Artwork Team
  • Skill: Novice
« Reply #3 on: 22. December 2012, 18:02:28 »
What i don't understand is why my old 0.8.0 install is not updated with latest software in latest iso builds: i mean, for example, i had to install kalu manually, and previously i had to switch do lxdm from lightdm.
So, it should be better to have that package (manjaro-system), that i guess is related to full system upgrade, handling these problems too. So, even if i did not installed latest iso, i'll have the same software.
Or even better, may be put in pacman.conf a new rule to set this behaviour to true or false.

This is what the forum is for. Considering between the forum and a package as you've suggested, I would prefer the forum. Cheer!

P/S: I haven't had any big issue so far with Manjaro updates and I believe the risk of my system broken by them will be little.

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #4 on: 22. December 2012, 21:53:02 »
Our install medias are just a basic setup which we think fits most needs of you guys. We also offer the Net-Edition which installs just a basic system you can build on. In the process we change things which create troubles or enhance our distribution.
It is up to you to adopt or not. More than that we can't do. That's why there is a community for ...

verityproductions

« Reply #5 on: 22. December 2012, 22:43:01 »
Hi!
Don't know if this is correct, or may be i am missing something, but i see that manjaro-system got upgraded every 1-2 weeks (i guess, i do not remember).
Otherwise, i don't understand what's the point of having such a package; may be you can explain me!:)
Thank you very much for your work, keep it up!
Bye!

To put the same responses in another way: the core system itself will be updated, but it is not for us to tell you what you should or should not have installed to use on it. For example, it is not for us to force users to install kalu or any other applications provided with later releases. You have the choice to do so yourself

Your system is just as up-to-date at the latest release. The only difference is with the (pre)installed applications provided.

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 22. December 2012, 23:03:28 »
I'm not new to arch, and rolling release distros. So i know every time i upgrade i have the latest software.
I think @philm understood my question very well, thanks for the answer. By the way, i didn't told you that the manjaro-system package should "force" anything or install anything. I thought about a new option to do that (if user wants), or may be something like a post install print, with the software changelog since previous release. Is this, at least, a bad idea?
Well, you know, i really like the way manjaro is growing; that is why i'd like to be up to date with your latest choices in terms of software.
By the way, it was not a critics, hope nobody took in this way. :)

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #7 on: 23. December 2012, 17:08:26 »
Each release comes with a changelog. There we tell you guys what changed.

Quote from: Changelog 0.8.2
3.2 Bootup

Plymouth - and its related bugs - removed

3.3 Desktop

Pacman Graphical User Interface (pacman-gui 0.1.9-1) added
    Package-Browser (pkgbrowser 0.10.1) added
    Kalu (1.3.0-1) upgrade notifier added
    Gnome Package Kit removed (previously used to add and remove software)

Sometimes I don't get people ...

• Neuling
« Reply #8 on: 23. December 2012, 19:08:17 »
Well, ok...
i know where the changelog is, and always look at it. What i'm saying is that I  always need to follow the web page to be up to date with what's going on.
But not every user I guess, check it always. So a little reminder every big update can be useful.
Or am i wrong again? Please tell me.
By the way, don't get me wrong, i was only asking; I'm sorry if i bothered you. :)

Offline ringo32

• Core Team
  • Dutch People look @ manjaro.be or manjaro.nl :)
    • Manjaro Belgium + forum
  • Kernel: linux310 linux313
  • Desktop: I3-Openbox/xfce
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT (acer 23inch)
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #9 on: 23. December 2012, 19:12:11 »
if you have kalu, you would be follow automaticaly the website news or update.... :) you dont miss everything :)

[irc] www.manjaro.be/irc  #manjaro #manjaro-nl #manjaro-ru #manjaro-es #linuxpark  #manjaro-de #manjaro-fr offtopic #manjaro-talk

• Neuling
« Reply #10 on: 23. December 2012, 20:37:16 »
@ringo: oh damn, you're right! :)  I missed it...then i'm an idiot! Everything is fine...
I guess this topic can be [solved] now.
Sorry for this waste of time :)