Author Topic: mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew  (Read 3890 times)

Offline aralmimTopic starter

• Jr. Mitglied
Re: mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
« Reply #15 on: 22. December 2012, 00:45:37 »
Thank's your post. How are you rebuilding plymouth with mkinitpicio ? What's the command, are you using mhwd ?
« Last Edit: 22. December 2012, 12:59:03 by aralmim »

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #16 on: 22. December 2012, 00:48:08 »
:-)
« Last Edit: 22. December 2012, 00:51:12 by aralmim »

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #17 on: 22. December 2012, 04:25:08 »
I like personaly if there is an image, it gives me the confidence that you can do anything graphically, because an inexperienced user is afraid from text mode.
I agree. Text mode can be creepy.

───────────────████████▓▒
 ────────────███████████████▓
 ─────────▓█████████████████████▓
 ───────██████████████████████████
 ───────██████████████████████████▓
 ──────████████████████████████████
 ──────████████████████████████████
 ──█▓─██████████████████████████████
 ──█▓─██████████████████████████████─▓█
 ─██▓─██████████████████████████████─▓█
 ▓███─██████████████████████████████─▓██
 ████─▒██▒▒▒░███████████████▓▓▓▓▓██▓─███
 █████▒███───██──▒█████───██───░███─▓███
 ██████████──█──▓██████▒──▒█─░▓████░████
 ████████████▒▒███████████░▒████████████
 █████████████████▒▒█░▓█████████████████
 ─████████████████─▓█▒░████████████████▓
 ─█████████████████████████████████████░
 ──██─▒███░▒▒─────────────░██████▓▒███▒
 ─────████▒─────────────────▒█████─█░
 ─────███████──████████──████████▓
 ─────███████─▓████████─▓████████░
 ─────█████████████████─█████████
 ──────████─███─███████████─████
 ───────███░─█▓─██████░██──████
 ────────████───▓▓████─█──████
 ────────░████░──────────███▓
 ─────────▒████████████████░
 ──────────▓██████████████
 ───────────▒████████████
 ──────────────▒▓██████▒
HOT TIP: For the fastest and most comprehensive response to your problem(s), please report issues properly! http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1327.0

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #18 on: 22. December 2012, 04:28:28 »
Personally, I like to see the boot process. If there ever is a picture in the way I get rid of it.

Same here.

quiet splash
HOT TIP: For the fastest and most comprehensive response to your problem(s), please report issues properly! http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1327.0

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #19 on: 22. December 2012, 04:33:44 »
My almost last words on this thema are "Mac OS"...

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #20 on: 22. December 2012, 09:45:42 »
You can use the GUI  tool Grug-Customize. Which as far as I know still has to come from the AUR, to add a picture & control text size & colour, as well as the screen resolution of the boot process. Plus just about every Grub configuration option.

I put a wiki entry in for this tool yesterday:

http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Grub-Customize 

It doesn't go into much detail as I've only used it to solve a problem that I had, but it is a good intro' & it links to another page that has a visual how-to, though it is quite limited also. I'll do a bit more work on that page today & try & make it somewhat more helpful.

Anyway, it may be worth a look.
I'm sure it's worth a look.

I installed Grub-Customizer to quiet splash several entries for other OSs. I have a black background with the Manjaro logo in the bottom right. I like that because, as I add other OSs, I will always know which installation manages Grub.  The text for Grub entries is pleasant green and light-gray, of course.

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Old experiential pantheist/animist/gnostic...
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.13.9-1
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2-6 (custom setup: Worker based, Alsa, Auto-login, No windows/icons, tiny Ob menu...)
  • Branch: Testing
  • GPU Card: nVidia GTX 660 Ti
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Intermediate
« Reply #21 on: 22. December 2012, 10:24:46 »
I spent some time on the Grub-Customizer wiki page today, making it more informative:

http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Grub-Customize

& a great deal of time on the Firefox Customisation page:

http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Firefox_Customisation
Forget about them, all they do is bring the world down. Ignore them & you are bringing the world up, just by ignoring them.  ;D

A species of conscience, or an evolutionary mishap?

The Forum Rules

• Jr. Mitglied
« Reply #22 on: 22. December 2012, 14:10:11 »
I have read the wiki, and I was using the grub-config for those changes, it's my favorite grub configurator program, but I have seen no option for graphical boot theme, exept the "quiet boot" section. I gues I will try to rebuild plymouth with mkinitcipio, if I unerstand corectly that in my system's case this is a method.
« Last Edit: 22. December 2012, 16:22:35 by aralmim »

Offline Loonix

• Neuling
« Reply #23 on: 30. December 2012, 02:49:38 »
Whereas the Arch devs just threw it out there, the Manjaro Team undertook the necessary preparations first so it won't break your system.

Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Si mkinitcpio | grep Packager
Packager       : Dave Reisner <dreisner@archlinux.org>

Offline Loonix

• Neuling
« Reply #24 on: 30. December 2012, 03:23:44 »
The failed attempt at automating this change actually left me with a broken mkinitcpio.conf and I couldn't boot, so thanks for that.

mkinitcpio.conf was mutilated into:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect filesystems"

Note the lack of anything useful in there...

hooks=$(cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep HOOKS= | grep -v '#' | cut -d'"' -f2 | sed 's/fw //g' | sed 's/mmc //g' | sed 's/pata //g' | sed 's/sata //g' | sed 's/scsi //g' | sed 's/usb //g' | sed 's/virtio                                 //g' | sed 's/filesystems /modconf block filesystems /g')Because "filesystems" couldn't possibly occur at the end of the HOOKS variable...

This upgrade was a no brainer, and you fucked it up. Running the hooks that block replaced was idempotent. You didn't need to do anything and mkinitcpio would continue to generate valid images.

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
  • Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2-6 (custom setup: Worker based, Alsa, Auto-login, No windows/icons, tiny Ob menu...)
« Reply #25 on: 30. December 2012, 06:21:01 »
Why are you alone with this problem?

What is different about your setup?
Forget about them, all they do is bring the world down. Ignore them & you are bringing the world up, just by ignoring them.  ;D

The Forum Rules

Offline Loonix

• Neuling
« Reply #26 on: 30. December 2012, 07:15:13 »
Apparently I'm "alone" because I made the "mistake" of modifying /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. What was previously entirely valid (and would have still been valid after the install) was changed behind my back into something invalid. mkinitcpio rightfully didn't complain because nothing is wrong as far as it can tell.

Again, the hackjob in manjaro-system is broken. It assumes that the "filesystems" hook couldn't possibly be at the end of the HOOKS variable and so the substitution fails.

I'm copying and pasting this horrifying pipeline directly from /var/lib/pacman/local/manjaro-system-20121212-3/install because I couldn't possibly fathom making up something like this on my own...

This works. Incidentally, it's close to, if not the same as the original config file... which didn't need touching to begin with...
$ grep ^HOOKS /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata sata scsi filesystems usbinput fsck"
$ cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep HOOKS= | grep -v '#' | cut -d'"' -f2 | sed 's/fw //g' | sed 's/mmc //g' | sed 's/pata //g' | sed 's/sata //g' | sed 's/scsi //g' | sed 's/usb //g' | sed 's/virtio //g' | sed 's/filesystems /modconf block filesystems /g'
base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems usbinput fsck

This is broken.
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata sata scsi usbinput fsck filesystems"
$ cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep HOOKS= | grep -v '#' | cut -d'"' -f2 | sed 's/fw //g' | sed 's/mmc //g' | sed 's/pata //g' | sed 's/sata //g' | sed 's/scsi //g' | sed 's/usb //g' | sed 's/virtio //g' | sed 's/filesystems /modconf block filesystems /g'
base udev autodetect usbinput fsck filesystems

This is broken too.
$ grep -E '^MODULES|^HOOKS' /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES="ext4"
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata sata scsi usbinput fsck"
base udev autodetect usbinput fsck

And this is what my mkinitcpio.conf USED to look like...
HOOKS="base udev autodetect sata filesystems"
base udev autodetect filesystems
Kaboom.

ANYONE who has modified their mkinitcpio.conf by rearranging hooks or, good grief, perhaps by entirely removing the filesystems hook and just adding their FS to their MODULES can be boned by this.

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 30. December 2012, 08:00:24 »
There was an upgrade of mkinitcpio which would have come down from upstream. The administration here decided to get the mkinitcpio upgrade done all on its own, a day before there was a major upgrade, (lots of packages) I got this all on its own.

This is all that happened on the mkinitcpio day:

[2012-12-21 23:25] Running 'pacman -Syy'
[2012-12-21 23:25] synchronizing package lists
[2012-12-21 23:25] Running 'pacman -Sy'
[2012-12-21 23:25] synchronizing package lists
[2012-12-21 23:25] starting full system upgrade
[2012-12-21 23:26] Running 'pacman -S basis/manjaro-system'
[2012-12-21 23:27] warning: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf installed as /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
[2012-12-21 23:27] ==> The "block" hook has replaced several hooks:
[2012-12-21 23:27]        fw, sata, pata, scsi, virtio, mmc, usb
[2012-12-21 23:27]     Replace any and all of these in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf with a single
[2012-12-21 23:27]     instance of the "block" hook
[2012-12-21 23:27] upgraded mkinitcpio (0.11.2-1 -> 0.12.0-2)
[2012-12-21 23:27] upgraded pcmciautils (018-4 -> 018-5)
[2012-12-21 23:27] upgraded manjaro-system (20120916-5 -> 20121212-3)

The next day there was a huge upgrade.

It is always worth doing a bit of a search before making changes to the core of the system. Linux is dynamic, it is changing everyday, we can't blame others due to our not keeping up with these changes. You were unlucky in these circumstances, I'm sure that you weren't alone.

We all stuff up from time to time, that's a fact, it really does pay to search or ask questions in a forum if your searches don't satisfy.

The Forum Rules

Offline Loonix

• Neuling
« Reply #28 on: 30. December 2012, 08:09:19 »
It is always worth doing a bit of a search before making changes to the core of the system. Linux is dynamic, it is changing everyday, we can't blame others due to our not keeping up with these changes.
Clearly you've not read what I've written here. I have no problems with the new mkinitcpio package from upstream. No one should have had a problem with it. I read about it ahead of time. I expected that modifying, or even auditing, my config right away would not be necessary. Apparently I was wrong, because "manjaro-system" changed my config without telling me. This was no fault of the upstream mkinitcpio package, only of Manjaro.

You were unlucky in these circumstances, I'm sure that you weren't alone.

We all stuff up from time to time, that's a fact, it really does pay to search or ask questions in a forum if your searches don't satisfy.
Ok, I'll ask, then. Who's decision was it to quietly alter config without alerting the user? Is is a trend that I can expect to continue in Manjaro?

Offline handy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 30. December 2012, 08:13:57 »
You had a .pacnew file that you didn't do anything about. It is your responsibility to maintain your rolling release system.

Manjaro make the most reliable & easy to maintain rolling release distro out there, BUT YOU still have to maintain it.

If you get a .pacnew file & you aren't confident about what is going on with it, then ask here.

Beyond that, that there is nothing more I can offer you.

The Forum Rules