Author Topic: Various question-packages/kalu/opera bug- (SOLVED)  (Read 2289 times)

Offline codec_abcTopic starter

• Neuling
Various question-packages/kalu/opera bug- (SOLVED)
« on: 17. December 2012, 21:42:18 »
Hi,

I've just installed manjaro because I love arch but the install process to get a usable system is too long for me. For now I quite impressed with what I've seen but I still have a few questions.

In the wiki (and wikipedia) it's said that manjaro is 100 % compatible with linux arch. Is it really true ? I mean the AUR seems to be the same as arch but not the default packages repository right ? About that, what is precisely in each repository ? Does the unstable is in fact the default arch packages or other packages made by the manjaro team ? This point is really important to me because arch is a quite big distribution and being fully compatible with it would allow users to get help and ressources from the arch community which is significantly bigger than the manjaro one. For example, if I get trouble with softwares (or hardware) can I ask for help in the arch forum or people won't want to help me because I have different packages ?

Again about packages, how many servers are available for software download/update ? It seems to me that fetching software using pacman is slower in manjaro than in arch. I have not looked into server ranking yet but I hope it is automatically done at install (if not you know what feature you can implement for the next release :P)

Then, I got two minors problem for now with manjaro. One is directly related to the distribution. Kalu said again and again that I have 10 unread news (probably from the rss feed) and it starts to be annoying ? Do I miss something or is there a way to tell him to not show that message again ?

Finally, I got some weird display bug in opera when using the right click menu. Any idea about that ?

Thanks a lot,

codec-abc
« Last Edit: 18. December 2012, 20:53:10 by codec_abc »

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
  • Kernel: Maintainer - so all ;)
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: Unstable
  • GPU Card: Geforce GTX 650
  • GPU driver: non-free
  • Skill: Guru
Re: Various question (packages/kalu/opera bug)
« Reply #1 on: 17. December 2012, 22:52:39 »
I have to quote some parts of your post so it is easier to understand.

Quote from: codec_abc
In the wiki (and wikipedia) it's said that manjaro is 100 % compatible with linux arch. Is it really true ? I mean the AUR seems to be the same as arch but not the default packages repository right ? About that, what is precisely in each repository ? Does the unstable is in fact the default arch packages or other packages made by the manjaro team ? This point is really important to me because arch is a quite big distribution and being fully compatible with it would allow users to get help and ressources from the arch community which is significantly bigger than the manjaro one. For example, if I get trouble with softwares (or hardware) can I ask for help in the arch forum or people won't want to help me because I have different packages ?

To answer this, you have to know how Manjaro works. We are using Archlinux binary packages from Arch-Stable Repositories.
Not all packages are used from Arch. 99% of Arch-Packages you can find in platform (core), extra, community and multilib.
Additional to this four Arch-Repos we have our own repos called basis, basis-multilib and addon.

In basis you find stuff linke our kernel, kernel-extramodules, filesystem, systemd and other modified packages mostly found in core on Archlinux. basis-multilib handles modified lib32-packages. In addon you find additional packages you might find in extra, community and AUR.

So you know now how our mix is set up. Now to our different layers: stable, testing, unstable.

Unstable, you find mostly daily synced packages from Arch-Stable. It depends how often I or other core-developers have time to sync from Archlinux. In this layer we adopt our latest changes and test them for 1-2 weeks before we move them to testing.

Testing, is designed for a wider user-base. Those packages are already tested by the core-team and signed of as "it-works".
Now our test-squad kicks in and tell us what we might have missed. All our install-media testbuilds get created from Manjaro-Testing. Those are tagged as X.Y.ZpreA. Our latest testbuild is 0.8.3pre3 and was released today.

If our test-squad send us their feedback and we found a solution for those issues and all is fixed for prime-time we move testing to our stable repos and announce that on our blog. If there are bigger changes even Unstable/Testing merges get announced on our blog to make live easier.

Stable, is what our normal Manjaro-Users have running. You get our stable repos by installing Manjaro with our official release.
Latest stable install-media is 0.8.2. So in the end Manjaro-Stable lacks on freshness about 3-4 weeks from Archlinux.

AUR-Packages are supported but sometimes don't work due outdated packages in our repos.

Again about packages, how many servers are available for software download/update ? It seems to me that fetching software using pacman is slower in manjaro than in arch. I have not looked into server ranking yet but I hope it is automatically done at install (if not you know what feature you can implement for the next release :P)

Speed is low since you all are on our UK-Mirror. As Manjaro is more popular now, you might want to change to a faster mirror. It is well explained in our wiki. Latest mirrorlist is available from our git.

Then, I got two minors problem for now with manjaro. One is directly related to the distribution. Kalu said again and again that I have 10 unread news (probably from the rss feed) and it starts to be annoying ? Do I miss something or is there a way to tell him to not show that message again ?

Finally, I got some weird display bug in opera when using the right click menu. Any idea about that ?

It depends on the edition you have installed. On Cinnamon/Gnome edition you don't have the "mark as read"-button. How to get rid of that news notifications I already answered. As for Opera I don't know.

Parmaster

« Reply #2 on: 17. December 2012, 22:53:36 »

Hi!

You asked about help but didn't specify what the problem is.

I have no problem with Opera and have no display bug problem with right click.

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #3 on: 17. December 2012, 23:00:51 »
I have no problem with Opera and have no display bug problem with right click.
Same here. No Opera right click problem.
HOT TIP: For the fastest and most comprehensive response to your problem(s), please report issues properly! http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1327.0

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #4 on: 17. December 2012, 23:12:45 »
Opera might be graphic-card driver related. Maybe you post me your output of mhwd -li and your Manjaro-Edition you are currently using.

• Neuling
« Reply #5 on: 17. December 2012, 23:37:12 »
First, Thanks for yours quicks answers.

Here what the bug in opera is looking like.

The first case show up on 90 % of the case. The second case show up on 10 % of the case.

Opera might be graphic-card driver related. Maybe you post me your output of mhwd -li and your Manjaro-Edition you are currently using.
I believe this too. Here is my output of mhwd -li
Code: [Select]
[root@manjaro codec]# mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         video-nouveau            2012.09.18                true            PCI
          video-nvidia            2012.06.03               false            PCI

About kalu, I'm on Cinnamon/Gnome. So if I understand correctly the only way to deal with it now is to deactivate the rss feed right ? If so I will wait for a fix because I would like to be aware of manjaro news.

Last, I think you might consider putting your explanation of manjaro's packages repositories in the wiki. I'm quite sure it can be useful to others users. But there is still some parts I don't fully understand.
Not all packages are used from Arch. 99% of Arch-Packages you can find in platform (core), extra, community and multilib
When you say 99%, the 1% remaining is the modified package in basis ?

In basis you find stuff linke our kernel, kernel-extramodules, filesystem, systemd and other modified packages mostly found in core on Archlinux. basis-multilib handles modified lib32-packages. In addon you find additional packages you might find in extra, community and AUR.
Can you explain what is the purpose of having modified package like kernel, kernel-extramodules, filesystem, systemd. It seems to me that it's some pretty important stuff. So I'm wondering if those package would behave like regular arch packages. Because if they do not behave like the regular one, we cut the connection to the resources and community of arch ?

EDIT: Last thing, it's not related but you may want to know that updates have broken your nice default theme for Cinnamon/Gnome. It looks pretty when installed, but after "pacman -Syu" it looks terrible, especially in nautilus.

« Last Edit: 17. December 2012, 23:42:47 by codec_abc »

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #6 on: 18. December 2012, 09:05:53 »
Can you explain what is the purpose of having modified package like kernel, kernel-extramodules, filesystem, systemd. It seems to me that it's some pretty important stuff. So I'm wondering if those package would behave like regular arch packages. Because if they do not behave like the regular one, we cut the connection to the resources and community of arch ?
As I explained before. We have three repositories with our own packages. basis, basis-multilib and addon. All our PKGBUILDs you can find in our git repository. Yes, they are important and we add our modifications carefully so those package would behave like regular arch packages. For example: we started with systemd one year ago, even before Archlinux considered it. 0.8.0 was developed behind the curtain so nobody knew that we existed.

EDIT: Last thing, it's not related but you may want to know that updates have broken your nice default theme for Cinnamon/Gnome. It looks pretty when installed, but after "pacman -Syu" it looks terrible, especially in nautilus.

This is already covered in our blog: here and there. Maybe you give our latest testbuild a spin.

For Opera, maybe activate Nvidia with:

sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl nvidia --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
To get back to FOSS use:

sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl mesa --setxorg '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nouveau.conf
In both cases you have to reboot your machine. Also you can try to disable some effects like composite etc.
« Last Edit: 18. December 2012, 09:11:53 by philm »

• Neuling
« Reply #7 on: 18. December 2012, 19:52:59 »
Thanks a lot for you answer. The fact critical packages are closely watched by the people behind the distribution make me feel a lot safer about the stability of my system.

It seems that you were already aware of the bug  I had (except the opera one) and since they are minors I can live with them until the next update.

About opera, the first command doesn't seem to work well :

[codec@manjaro ~]$ sudo mhwd-gpu --setgl nvidia --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
warning: could not find '/usr/lib/libGL.so.nvidia'!
lib32-libGl: '/usr/lib32/libGL.so.nvidia'
warning: could not find '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.nvidia'!
warning: could not find '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf'!
[codec@manjaro ~]$

and both doesn't change behavior in any way. The bug is still there, but don't search much longer as I planned to reformat and do a clean install in the near future. I will open a bug ticket if the bug is still there after fresh install.

Again sorry to ask questions not relevant to the current thread, but I have one question about disk formating. Can you details the step to do manual formatting (already have a dual boot with windows that I want to keep) and splitting the /home and /root folders ? Is just simple as creating a new partition and mounting it as a static partition, or is there an additional step to say that the partition is in fact the /home folder ?

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #8 on: 18. December 2012, 20:04:28 »
Well, partitioning is really good covered by Carl on our wiki. But to have it even easier try to use GParted, a graphical tool to partitioning your harddrive. This is a good guide to shrink your Windows partition and here you get to know almost everything about doing the rest.

For the nvidia issue. Here is what I've installed on my box:

[phil@manjaro i686]$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
          video-nvidia            2012.11.18               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
[phil@manjaro i686]$ mhwd-gpu
:: status
  lib32-libGl: '/usr/lib32/libGL.so.nvidia'
  libGl: '/usr/lib/libGL.so.nvidia'
  libglx: '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.nvidia'
  xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf'

Using mhwd is covered in our wiki.

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #9 on: 18. December 2012, 20:18:05 »
What version of Opera are you using? There are several in AUR. I'm using Opera 11.62 and have no interest in Opera 12 at the moment. Also, have you tried using a different skin? I'm using the standard skin. Just curious whether either would make a difference.
HOT TIP: For the fastest and most comprehensive response to your problem(s), please report issues properly! http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1327.0

• Neuling
« Reply #10 on: 18. December 2012, 20:42:24 »
Ok thanks again for your answer I have no more questions this time. You really are nice people to answered all of the previous ;D  I will put the thread on resolve now.
I completely uninstalled the nvidia proprietary driver. I get the same output as you now philm.
About opera I have the 12.11 and all the skin give the same result (before that I didn't even now there was skin for Opera :P). I will reboot one last time now to see if it fix the problem and see if it fix the problem. If not I will tell you what I get after a clean install.

EDIT: The bug is still there after reboot.
« Last Edit: 18. December 2012, 20:52:27 by codec_abc »

Offline dicktater

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #11 on: 18. December 2012, 21:04:58 »
About opera I have the 12.11 and all the skin give the same result (before that I didn't even now there was skin for Opera :P).
Not saying that Opera 12 is your problem but, have you read the Opera forum with regard to Opera 12? Many people, including me, had problems so bad with piggish behavior of Opera 12 they went back to 11.x and even 10.x version.

• Neuling
Re: Various question-packages/kalu/opera bug- (SOLVED)
« Reply #12 on: 18. December 2012, 22:21:17 »
Can you explain how to grab an older release of opera (or any package more generally) please ?

Offline philm

• Core Team
    • Manjaro Linux
« Reply #13 on: 18. December 2012, 22:50:20 »
There are is the AUR. You find lot's of PKGBUILD scripts of special needed applications and tools, those the Archlinux developers don't care about. You can compile them on your own system. To do this for non-technical persons there is the application yaourt.
So symple try:

yaourt -S opera-11.62
yaourt -S opera-11.62-x86_64

Or one for both architecures:

yaourt -S opera-116
And there is still the Downgrade Guide which you can use for Manjaro partly.

• Neuling
« Reply #14 on: 18. December 2012, 23:06:56 »
Damned I was going too far. I was reading article about arch rollback machine and stuff. Didn't think AUR would do the job. Well it didn't do it right (the script didn't work) but it allowed me to grab a link to an old release of opera and install it by hand. But still no luck, the bug is in 11.62 too.
I'm pretty sure I messed up with the graphic driver at some part. In fact I installed Manjaro with nvidia driver and then install nouveau. In my memories, it was easy to set up dualscreen with nvidia driver but in fact it was easier with nouveau (once I used arandr). Next time, I will use nouveau from the beginning.