Author Topic: Backup the main panel  (Read 1264 times)

Offline TraceTopic starter

• Neuling
  • Desktop: XFCE
  • Branch: testing
  • Skill: Novice
Backup the main panel
« on: 22. March 2014, 00:02:26 »
Hi!

I am new in KDE and... deleted my beautiful Manjaro panel (something like "Start" in Windows). How can I backup it to be exactly as it was? Now I have default KDE panel (I think).

Sorry for my English, hope you understood ;].

Offline drawDaeye

• Sr. Mitglied
  • I broke it and didn't try.
  • Kernel: linux 3.13.6-1Manjaro-x64
  • Desktop: KDE (community)
  • Branch: Stable
  • GPU Card: ATi Radion HD 7970
  • GPU driver: non-free drivers
  • Skill: Intermediate
Re: Backup the main panel
« Reply #1 on: 22. March 2014, 08:08:50 »
Hey Trace, welcome to the community.
The cashew icon in the corner of the screen on your desktop, click on it, select "add panel" after that, click on the new panel's cashew icon and select "add new widgets", then select the menu/application launcher, double click on it and move it to where you want it. I would suggest adding system tray as well. Then you can lock the panel so you don't delete it again. You can do this by clicking on the panels cashew icon, "more settings" and select "lock panel." I hope this helps. YouTube videos will help you to get you used to the many features it has, and will make KDE easier to use.
« Last Edit: 22. March 2014, 08:14:19 by drawDaeye »
Cheers!

Offline excalibur1234

• Global Moderator
  • Kernel: 4.1
  • Desktop: net-minimal + LXQt
  • Branch: unstable
  • GPU driver: nvidia-340xx
« Reply #2 on: 22. March 2014, 11:18:02 »
i recommend to watch youtube videos as well. just search for "kde custom panel" and you will learn a lot.

i am not very familiar with kde as well and i learned a lot by watching youtube videos.
i needed about a day until i got everything working the way i like it.
after doing so much tweaking, i started to notice the "internal logic" of kde.
kde has a lot - almost too many - settings options, but it is easiest to use the search function in the settings window to find what you are looking for.
Need more information? Search here:   Manjaro Forum   |   Manjaro Wiki   |   Arch Wiki

• Neuling
« Reply #3 on: 22. March 2014, 13:31:41 »
Unfortunately because of my slow Internet connection I can't watch youtube videos :(.

And your tips done the default KDE panel, but I won't it. I want this which was used after fresh Manjaro installation. Thanks.

Offline roadrage

• Neuling
« Reply #4 on: 22. March 2014, 14:15:22 »
Unfortunately because of my slow Internet connection I can't watch youtube videos :(.

And your tips done the default KDE panel, but I won't it. I want this which was used after fresh Manjaro installation. Thanks.

You' ve chosen a DE where just about every configurable option is covered by gui, so you might want to get started reading  here

Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem

Debian - Slackware - Gentoo

Offline poker98face

• Held Mitglied
  • Open your Source, Open your Mind
  • Kernel: 3.15 Arch
  • Desktop: KDE
  • Branch: stable Arch
  • GPU Card: ATI 5470
  • GPU driver: free
« Reply #5 on: 22. March 2014, 14:22:22 »
Manjaro KDE use default plasma panel and i think you want to add menu like this?

PC: Windows 7 Notebook: Arch

• Neuling
« Reply #6 on: 22. March 2014, 14:38:58 »
I just run LiveCD. Something like this + the whole panel construction (opened apps are as small icons, workspaces icons on the right, etc.)

Offline poker98face

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #7 on: 22. March 2014, 14:49:15 »
I write names of the applets you need to add to the panel  ;)

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Kernel: Linux319-x64
  • Desktop: Mate
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 750
  • GPU driver: non-free
« Reply #8 on: 22. March 2014, 16:07:42 »
So you want the panel to be exactly the same like fresh installation right? This is my tips and tricks I've been using (but on xfce, should be the same I think):
1. Backup your current KDE configuration files by:
Code: [Select]
mv ~/.kde{,.back}2. Boot from your KDE Manjaro live CD, open your file manager, and you should see your current system partition (the installed Manjaro). Go to your home partition from file manager.
3. Open another file manager, go to home (the live CD home, not the installed Manjaro partition) and copy the .kde folder from the live CD home to your home partition.
Just like that. The logic is you use the configs file from the live CD, this trick make your entire KDE using the default Manjaro settings which means you "have to reconfigure everything". But this can be improved if you know the configuration file of the application you want to tweak. For your example, you have to look into the .kde folder for the menu configuration and copy it into your .kde folder in your home partition.
But the most important step is "always do the first step, backup everything you want to mess with so you can roll back if something happens". That's how I learn about Linux, keep experience it yourself. Good luck [/code]

• Neuling
« Reply #9 on: 22. March 2014, 16:46:47 »
Really really thanks. Problem solved! :]

Offline poker98face

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #10 on: 22. March 2014, 17:26:22 »
So you want the panel to be exactly the same like fresh installation right? This is my tips and tricks I've been using (but on xfce, should be the same I think):
1. Backup your current KDE configuration files by:
Code: [Select]
mv ~/.kde{,.back}2. Boot from your KDE Manjaro live CD, open your file manager, and you should see your current system partition (the installed Manjaro). Go to your home partition from file manager.
3. Open another file manager, go to home (the live CD home, not the installed Manjaro partition) and copy the .kde folder from the live CD home to your home partition.
Just like that. The logic is you use the configs file from the live CD, this trick make your entire KDE using the default Manjaro settings which means you "have to reconfigure everything". But this can be improved if you know the configuration file of the application you want to tweak. For your example, you have to look into the .kde folder for the menu configuration and copy it into your .kde folder in your home partition.
But the most important step is "always do the first step, backup everything you want to mess with so you can roll back if something happens". That's how I learn about Linux, keep experience it yourself. Good luck [/code]
More easy than adding some applets  ::) Yeah i know this is "another way" but... i think its better to show how to do some things and after newbies don't have "Windows user" problems (i seen many topics like "i moved my panel to top pls help") ;)

« Last Edit: 22. March 2014, 17:38:17 by poker98face »

Offline crazyg4merz

• Held Mitglied
  • Experience it, that's the way of learning!!
  • Kernel: Linux319-x64
  • Desktop: Mate
  • Branch: stable
  • GPU Card: Nvidia GTX 750
  • GPU driver: non-free
« Reply #11 on: 22. March 2014, 18:02:24 »
More easy than adding some applets   Yeah i know this is "another way" but... i think its better to show how to do some things and after newbies don't have "Windows user" problems (i seen many topics like "i moved my panel to top pls help")

I would never teach anyone something like that if it is not necessary. But the question from the thread starter is "how to make his KDE panel looks exactly the way it is from the fresh installation". So there's no other way than the steps I've made above  ;D
Yeah this is not a good practice for newbies, but I did mention about always make a backup first. So, if anything happen it is just a "mv ~/.kde.back ~/.kde" step away to fix it.
And I don't really understand your sentence starting from "how to do some things and after ......". Sorry but can you explain it in a more detailed sentence?  :)

Offline poker98face

• Held Mitglied
« Reply #12 on: 22. March 2014, 18:18:10 »
Well for example i prefer to show which applets (plasmoids) he must add to panel even if this is "hard way" because if he mess his config again, he know how to restore everything in one minute without backup  :) But maybe i am crazy because i never made backup of my systems  ::)