KDE Plasma 6 is coming out today. How/when do we update?

I’ve never done that in all my years on Manjaro unstable.
I do however exercise some caution and update in a VM first when the package list seems to warrant it (happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year) as I’m running unstable on my production machine.
Migration to Plasma6 would be one such occasion.

1 Like

A kamikaze pilot :grin: or someone similar insane - would

• Switch to Manjaro unstable
  • Switch extra repo to Arch Mirror
  • Run a full system update

Plasma 6 and Mesa with AMD hardware encoding …

But then - why not switch core to Arch Mirror as well ?

3 Likes

Heck, for that matter why not simply switch to Arch?
Or even better. Gentoo…
And kiss your life goodbye while you’re at it.

Edit:

Quite possibly because I can’t seem to find it there!

:man_shrugging:

John Rambo 100 bugs shooting at you and all fail, but you shoot one time and 100 bugs dead.

Rico Roughnecks uha :rofl:

That’s quite the possibility if, and only IF you do the updates correctly, deal with any and all .pacnew files promptly, and you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty. While I check all the boxes, sadly I still lack the confidence it requires…

Just eyed through the KDE forums, I’m certainly in no hurry.

5 Likes

From what I’ve been watching (Nicco Loves Linux, etc.) and reading, Wayland should indeed be somewhat improved over the current version. For example, respawning open application windows after a Wayland crash, rather than killing them off.

Currently, if XWayland crashes, the rest of the Wayland session stays up, which is a start. I’ve had this a few times.

Wayland should be updated along with all the other stuff; no need to do anything special as far as I know.

NB: I’ve been using Wayland on Manjaro for some months now. It’s mostly fine.

Perhaps I need to clarify: I’ve never backed up my operating system and don’t intend to do so.
You can bet I do backups of my (important) data.

There are always bugs in software. Some hit my setup and I can live with them, some hurt and for those one downgrades affected packages.
It’s the same on all branches, stable and testing just get less (but bigger batches of) updates.

If all fails one can downgrade single packages or even switch back to another branch and thus downgrade the whole lot.

Excerpt from Pacman man page:
BUGS
Bugs? You must be kidding; there are no bugs in this software. But if we happen to be wrong, submit a bug report with as much detail as possible at the
Arch Linux Bug Tracker in the Pacman section.

:innocent:

So he is not allowed to ask questions that many other think of ?
then please name the criteria from which certain topics can be addressed…
his question is not the problem…

7 Likes

It doesn’t need to be addressed. It was addressed million times already. It will be when it will be. And if you don’t like that you are free to compile it yourself/change to different branch or arch or whatever. It won’t make it any faster if 100 people ask every day.

Anyway… greetings from Plasma 6. :joy:

3 Likes

It’s true in my case, but not because of Plasma itself, but Manjaro as a rolling release. In most cases updates are fine, but you never know what happens, so having a backup is a must. I roll back my system at most a few times a year, because of some bug that is usually fixed a few days to a week later.

Nope. It doesn’t work that way. It was tested by developers and enthusiasts, but they cannot discover every bug or test it on every hardware. That is why, every zero point release is a risk. Some releases were more buggy than others. Sometimes the bugs were only minor. Plasma 6 is no different.

Stable Plasma becomes with ever minor update, so 6.0.1 will have some bug fixes, 6.0.2 will have some more. Since 6.0.4 you could say, that this is a fairly OK version, but of course, the higher version the better (usually) and the 7 is considered to be very stable, in this case 6.0.7. No one will wait so much time here on Manjaro thou. If you expect stability and extensive tests, only higher versions will have that, but on a rolling release, you will experience all versions.

In the past, Manjaro withhold some lower versions from stable branch, and they got update only with point 2 or even point 4, but since Plasma became more reliable and less buggy nowadays, Manjaro pushes every Plasma update fairly quickly to stable. By “quickly” I mean 2-3 weeks after testing branch, but it can vary. There is no strict rule.

So far, I heard that Plasma 6 is a surprisingly stable experience, but I withhold my own opinion, because every user has a different experience, especially because of some unique setups.

6 Likes

It was a fair question by @TristanK27 and there is no relevant search result answering the question. Pre-release versions are not the same as the final Plasma 6 release. Searching the forum only leads to discussions about pre-releases, or a discussion about final release strategy: 2 years ago…

5 Likes

There are very very few pieces of software that will ever be released upstream into a new major version on Monday and then consumed by users of Manjaro Stable Branch on Tuesday, or even that week.
There may not have been something particular to Plasma 6 already posted somewhere (there have been), but it matters not because a basic understanding of how Packages, Branches, or updates work would be sufficient to realize that “Plasma 6 released today” has about a 0% chance of meaning “Plasma 6 for Manjaro Stable today”, let alone the concept of '“What do I need to do to get the upgrades?”
So less fair in my estimation, but it also probably doesnt deserve a flogging either.
Though I will say for my part, that it is tiring to answer the same question dozens of times.

8 Likes

Personally, I switched from testing to stable branch yesterday after looking at the current bug list.

3 Likes

Might be premature (if plasma 6 is the sole reason) as it seems very likely there’ll still be a few testing updates without plasma 6.
Even so: when no one in testing raises any flags about it, it might get to stable sooner :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I might switch back when things settle down a bit and depending on how long before it hits stable. But I agree, if no one’s testing, it affects stable as well. It’s just that there’s a limited amount of bugs I can stand on my daily driver and currently, it’s not looking good.

1 Like

So people have started using plasma 6, therefore a bunch of bugs has raised as expected, and It’s highly recommended not to hurry the upgrade. If I see plasma 6 arriving I’ll switch to stable too.

EDIT: LOL plasma-bugs CONF — File picker closes when scrolling

3 Likes

Fixed already though.

Plasma 6 is still not yet in Arch Stable, so still at least 3 steps away from being in Manjaro Testing.

https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=plasma-desktop

2 Likes

Then what’s all this about “Please search before posting”?

1 Like